I feel my memory constantly deteriorating Any advice?

• Thread starter meldraft
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memory
In summary, an engineer's memory has decreased in recent years due to some events in their life. This is causing some problems in their studies, as they have to read things over and over again and unless they use the material frequently, it fades from their memory. There are some techniques that can be used to improve the engineer's memory, but they may not be disciplined enough to use them. A neurologist can help rule out any medical reasons for the decreased memory.
meldraft
Hey all,

I am an engineer, and working towards a PhD. 9 years ago, when I started studying in the university, my memory was very good.

It's been a couple of years that I've realized that I can simply no longer remember things the way I used to. It may be linked to some events in my life that really took a toll, or, simply old age :P

I taught Lagrangian mechanics a month ago, and today I had to actually think how to derive Lagrange's formula for dynamics; I couldn't remember an equation with two terms, and I've used it like a million times. This is just one example. This happens not only with equations, but with concepts as well. I had to re-think how to put the signs in virtual work because I could simply not remember it.

My memory is still suffices for everyday tasks, so if I were in a different line of work I probably wouldn't have realized it.

Is this normal? I guess that a lot of you are in a similar, or more advanced step in your careers than I am, so is this also something you observe in yourselves? If so, how do you cope?

This is really hindering me in my studies because I don't really have trouble understanding anything. I do, however, have to read the same things over and over, and unless I use something all the time, it simply slips away.

I have read a lot of things about improving your memory, and a few books on mnemonics, but it turned out that I don't really have the discipline to incorporate such techniques in my work. I'm starting to consider the option of asking for professional help ^_^

Physics news on Phys.org
You should see a neurologist to rule out any medical reasons. It could just be stress, lack of quality sleep, too much on your mind, but only a doctor can run the proper tests.

Good luck.

1. What causes memory deterioration?

The most common causes of memory deterioration include aging, certain medical conditions (such as Alzheimer's or dementia), head injuries, and long-term substance abuse. Stress and lack of sleep can also contribute to memory problems.

2. Can memory deterioration be reversed?

It depends on the underlying cause. In some cases, memory loss can be improved or even reversed with proper treatment. For example, addressing medical conditions or reducing stress can help improve memory function. However, in cases of degenerative diseases like Alzheimer's, memory loss cannot be reversed.

3. How can I prevent memory deterioration?

There are several ways to help prevent memory deterioration, such as maintaining a healthy diet, staying physically and mentally active, getting enough sleep, managing stress, and avoiding drugs and alcohol. It is also important to seek treatment for any underlying medical conditions that may be affecting your memory.

4. What are some memory exercises to help improve memory?

There are many memory exercises and techniques that can help improve memory, such as practicing mindfulness and meditation, playing brain games and puzzles, learning a new skill or language, and using mnemonic devices. Regular exercise and a healthy diet can also benefit memory function.

5. When should I seek professional help for memory deterioration?

If you are experiencing significant and persistent memory loss that is interfering with your daily life, it is important to consult a doctor for a proper evaluation. This is especially important if memory loss is accompanied by other symptoms, such as confusion, difficulty with language, or changes in mood or behavior. Early detection and treatment can help slow the progression of certain conditions that may be causing memory deterioration.