Analysis proof showing discontinuous funtion is integrable?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that a function g, obtained by altering values of a Riemann integrable function f at finite number of points, is also Riemann integrable. It is shown that for every partition of [a,b], the upper and lower sums of g can be made arbitrarily close to those of f by choosing small enough mesh size and arranging the grids to be small enough around the points where g differs from f. This is possible because g is bounded on [a,b] and the points of difference only affect a finite number of grids in a given partition.
mali0462
analysis proof...showing discontinuous function is integrable?

Homework Statement

if a function f : [a,b] is Riemann integrable and g :[a,b] is obtained by altering values of f at finite number of points, prove that g is Riemann integrable and that
∫ f = ∫ g (f and g integrated from a to b)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

g is bounded on [a,b] so for all E>0 let Q be a partition of [a, b] such that
PcQ

then L(P,f)<L(Q,g)<U(Q,g)<U(P,f) (inequalities should be less than or equal
to...how to type that?)

therefore U(Q,g)-L(Q,g)<E

therefore g is Riemann integrable on [a,b]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is P? How did you derive those inequalities?

The important point is that the points are only going to affect a finite number of grids in a given partition, and by arranging these grids to be small enough, you can make their effect negligible.

P is my partition of f, (f given as integrable) and the inequalities are given in a theorem. I think I am trying to do what you said. Trying to set up Q, my partition of g, as constants plus or minus a delta term and then deriving my U(Q,f) and L(Q,f). Does that make sense?

What theorem is specific enough that you can just write those inequalities down given the relation between f and g? And no, that didn't make sense (to me at least). Remember that there is no specific partition of f or g, you need to show that the result is the same over all partitions as their meshes go to zero.

Last edited:
Alright. I see your point here, my inequality set up doesn't work yet. Thanks for your help thus far. I will go try something else. And I knew that I have to do this
"The important point is that the points are only going to affect a finite number of grids in a given partition, and by arranging these grids to be small enough, you can make their effect negligible." but any further hints on how to do that.

Say the mesh (width of the largest grid) is e, and the places where g differs from f are x_1, x_2,..., x_n. Then what is the biggest the difference between the sums for f and g could be in terms of f(x_k), g(x_k), and e?

Why is g bounded?

HINT: it is easy, and equivalent, to consider only a function g that is zero except at a finite number of points.

1. What does it mean for a function to be discontinuous?

A function is said to be discontinuous if there exists a point in its domain where the function is not defined or where the function has a jump or break in its graph.

2. Why is it important to determine if a discontinuous function is integrable?

Determining if a discontinuous function is integrable allows us to find the area under the curve of the function, which has many practical applications in mathematics and physics.

3. How do you prove that a discontinuous function is integrable?

To prove that a discontinuous function is integrable, we use the Riemann integral definition and show that the upper and lower sums of the function approach the same value as the partition of the interval gets smaller.

4. Can all discontinuous functions be proven to be integrable?

No, not all discontinuous functions are integrable. For a function to be integrable, it must satisfy certain conditions, and some discontinuous functions may fail to meet these conditions.

5. Are there any specific techniques for proving integrability of discontinuous functions?

Yes, there are techniques such as the Cauchy criterion and the Lebesgue criterion that can be used to prove the integrability of certain types of discontinuous functions.