Winding Number Proof Clarification

• Thread starter futurebird
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Winding
In summary: Thanks, that's much better!In summary, the theorem states that if the piecewise differentiable closed curve \gamma does not pass through the point a then:1) \displaystyle\oint_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z-a} is a multiple of 2 \pi2) h(t) = \displaystyle\int^{t}_{\aplha}\frac{z'(t)}{z(t)-a}dt3) h'(t)=\frac{z'(t)}{z(t)-a}4) k=e^{-h(t)}(z(t)-a)5) Hence k' = 0.6) e^{
futurebird
I have some questions about this proof. I have numbered the equations (1), (2), ... so I can ask about them.

THEOREM
If the piecewise differentiable closed curve [tex]\gamma[/tex] does not pass through the point a then:

[tex](1) \displaystyle\oint_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z-a}[/tex]

is s multiple of [tex]2 \pi i[/tex]

PROOF
[tex]\gamma[/tex] is given by z(t) [tex]\alpha \leq t \leq \beta[/tex] consider:

[tex](2) h(t)=\displaystyle\int^{t}_{\aplha}\frac{z'(t)}{z(t)-a}dt[/tex]

h(t) is defined and continuos on the closed interval [tex](\alpha, \beta)[/tex]

[tex](3) h'(t)=\frac{z'(t)}{z(t)-a}[/tex]

where z'(t) is continuos.

[tex](4) k=e^{-h(t)}(z(t)-a)[/tex]

(5) Hence k' = 0.

[tex](6) e^{h(t)}=\frac{(z(t)-a)}{k}[/tex]

[tex](7) e^{h(t)}=\frac{(z(t)-a)}{z(\alpha)-a}[/tex]

Since [tex]\gamma[/tex] is a closed curve [tex]z(\beta)=z(\alpha)[/tex]

[tex](8) e^{h(\beta)}=1[/tex]

[tex]h(\beta)[/tex] must be a multiple of [tex]2 \pi i[/tex].

END

QUESTIONS

1. (3) why do we need to know about h'(t)?

2. (5) why is k' = 0?

3. How did we replace k with [tex]z(\alpha)-a[/tex] in step (7) ?

Thanks for any help you can give. I need to understand this proof for a test and I'd rather not memorize these bits, but instead know what I'm doing! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to know [itex] h^\prime (t) [/itex] in order to answer question 2. For question 2, calculate [itex] \frac{dk}{dt}[/itex]. You should get

[tex] \frac{dk}{dt} = -h^\prime (t) e^{-h(t) } (z(t) -a ) + e^{-h (t)} z^\prime (t) [/tex]

And substitute what you're given for [itex] h^\prime (t) [/itex].

Thanks! I think I get it now!

I'm not 100% about part 3, but I think it's because [itex] \frac{dk}{dt}=0 [/itex]. Thus we know that k must be a constant. Since k is a constant, if we know it's value at one place, we know it at any other. Thus [itex] k \equiv k(\alpha) = e^{-h(\alpha)} ( z(\alpha) - a) [/itex] but then there's an extra [itex] e^{-h(\alpha)} [/itex] and I'm not sure where it disappears.

1. What is the winding number?

The winding number is a mathematical concept that describes the number of times a curve or path wraps around a point in a given direction. It is used to measure the rotation or twisting of a curve in the complex plane.

2. How is the winding number calculated?

The winding number is calculated by counting the number of times a curve winds around a point in a counterclockwise direction. This count can be positive or negative, depending on the direction of the winding.

3. What is the significance of the winding number in topology?

In topology, the winding number is used to classify curves and determine their homotopy classes. It is also used to distinguish between closed and open curves.

4. Can the winding number be fractional?

Yes, the winding number can be fractional in cases where the curve encircles a point multiple times in different directions. In this case, the winding number is equal to the total number of counterclockwise rotations minus the total number of clockwise rotations.

5. How is the winding number used in real-world applications?

The winding number has various applications in physics, engineering, and computer science. It is used to calculate the phase shift in AC circuits, determine the stability of dynamic systems, and in image processing for shape recognition and contour tracking.