Math and/or Physics degree while working fulltime ?

In summary, it is possible to obtain a Math and/or Physics degree while working full time, but it may be difficult depending on factors such as work schedule and course availability. It is recommended to start with a few courses as a part-time student to test the waters. However, it may take longer to complete the degree and require more effort and time. Time management and being able to handle pressure are important skills for balancing work and school. It is also important to be prepared for a heavy workload and potential burnout.
withoutfear
Do you think it is feasible to get a Math and/or Physics degree while working full time ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do think it is feasible, for the most part, but there are a number of factors that can alter how feasible it is. For example, what is your full-time work schedule like? Flexible, or rigid?

I think there will come a point, as you approach the final classes necessary to acquire the degree, that you will find classes that are offered at only one time, one section per semester.

That being said, I do believe it is possible. I am currently operating under that assumption. It is already difficult and I am still near the very beginning of required courses. I'm quite certain that it will only get harder. That being said, I'm enjoying the process as much as I hope to enjoy the destination.

I think I'd want to join a SAS team or do some data analysis which is possible to switch over where I work at the moment. I'd have to do some online/off campus type of study. Work is pretty flexible but not that flexible as to allow me ot physically go to classes. I just regret not doing a technical degree.

Of course it's possible. But physics and math degrees usually require a tremendous amount of effort and time to complete. If you're putting in full time hours, it doesn't leave a lot of time in the week to devote to your studies - especially if you want to devote time to family or other interests.

If you're really interested, the best thing to do is start with a few courses as a part-time student. This will allow you to test the waters without giving up your job and current lifestyle. The disadvantage is that doing it this way takes more time.

Hi :)

I think it is possible.
But for a course that would be for 4 years, perhaps you can only do it in 8...

Since I entered in the university, I always worked part-time. And it has been really difficult for me, because I also am a swimmer (low competition) and can't leave my ballroom dance classes. But I did it. It took a little more time than expected, but I did it.

But let aware you for this, the more time you take to do your course, the more practice and study you need to have so you can remember not the actual subject but also the basics from the firsts years ;)

good luck ,
moon_sphinx

While finishing in four years and getting the marks and research necessary to build a grad application? No, I don't think so. (Of course there are always exceptions with exceptional students, and you could get the degree while not doing well enough to go to grad school)

I worked about 20 hrs a week my first two years, and about 8 hrs a week my last two years (not counting research). I should have worked less in the beginning and started research earlier.

I work full time (nights) and attend school full time for electrical engineering. I'm a Junior now with a 3.8 GPA.

Trade offs? I only sleep 4-5 hours a day during the week, and I spend all of Saturday (and at least 3-4 hours on Sunday) finishing homework/labs/projects.

Just realize that while school is in session, your life will essentially be work, school, sleep - and nothing else. But you always have winter break and summers. If you enjoy learning (as I do), it's not such a bad deal. You have to be able to manage your time extremely well, and have the sort of personal structure that thrives under constant pressure.

I also purchase my texts well ahead of time and get about 1/4 of the reading done to create a buffer. Get syllabi ahead of time and find out what you're in for. Do a little mental preparation to buffer the onslaught. I find that it's only towards the end of the school year that I start burning out a bit - and it's a struggle to keep up come late April/May.

My view is that it's good preparation for when I finish school, leave my night job, and go to the 9-5 life. When all I have is one job and I'm getting 6-7 hours a night rest I'll be that much better.

I work in project management and I am a junior I already have a degree so I don't think it would take 4 years.

I think I want to be a SAS/SQL or maybe even VBA developer or data analyst. I can't see why I could not transition to SAS as it is a procedural language.

I just have this vision of me bashing my head against the table at 11:30 at night trying to sovle a stupid problem.

lol... I regret not being wise when I was younger.

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a Math or Physics degree while working full-time?

The main benefit of pursuing a Math or Physics degree while working full-time is the opportunity to further your education and advance your career at the same time. A degree in Math or Physics can open up a wide range of job opportunities in fields such as engineering, finance, and research. Additionally, it demonstrates a strong work ethic and dedication to continuous learning, which can be attractive to employers.

2. How can I manage my time effectively while balancing work and studying for a Math or Physics degree?

Time management is key when pursuing a degree while working full-time. Some tips for managing your time effectively include creating a study schedule and sticking to it, breaking down large tasks into smaller ones, and setting aside specific blocks of time for studying. It's also important to prioritize your tasks and eliminate any unnecessary distractions.

3. Can I pursue a Math or Physics degree while working full-time without sacrificing the quality of my education?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Math or Physics degree while working full-time without sacrificing the quality of your education. Many universities offer online or evening classes specifically designed for working professionals. These classes are often more flexible and allow you to complete coursework at your own pace, while still receiving a high-quality education.

4. Will my employer support me in pursuing a Math or Physics degree while working full-time?

It depends on your employer and their policies. Some employers may offer tuition reimbursement or other financial support for employees pursuing a degree related to their job. It's important to discuss your plans with your employer and see if they are willing to support you in your educational goals.

5. How long will it take to complete a Math or Physics degree while working full-time?

The time it takes to complete a Math or Physics degree while working full-time will vary depending on the specific program and your course load. Typically, an undergraduate degree in Math or Physics takes 4 years to complete if you are attending full-time. However, if you are working full-time and taking classes part-time, it may take longer. It's important to speak with an academic advisor to determine the best course of action for your specific situation.