Convergence of Sequences and closed sets

In summary, the theorem states that a subset of a metric space is closed if and only if every convergent sequence of points in the subset has its limit point also in the subset. This means that if a subset contains a convergent sequence and its limit, it must be a closed subset in the metric space. The "only if" part of the theorem emphasizes that every convergent sequence must have its limit point in the subset, not just one sequence. This helps to clarify any confusion about subsets containing convergent sequences and still being open.
scottyg88

Homework Statement

This is the Theorem as stated in the book:
Let S be a subset of a metric space E. Then S is closed if and only if, whenever p1, p2, p3,... is a sequence of points of S that is convergent in E, we have:
lim(n->inf)pn is in S.

Homework Equations

From "introduction to Analysis" Rosenlicht, page 47.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the "only if" portion of this theorem, in that a closed subset implies the limit will lie in the subset. However, I'm missing something in the "if" portion, in that if a subset contains a convergent sequence and the limit is contained in the subset, then the subset must be closed. Maybe I am reading this wrong, but could it not be the case that a convergent sequence (and its limit) lie completely in an open subset. For example, the sequence 1/n^2 is contained completely in (-1,1), an open subset of the metric space R.

BTW... I've used the info in this forum for a long time... glad to finally be a part of it :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement asserts that whenever you have a convergent sequence of terms in A, the limit point for the sequence is also in A. One such sequence is not sufficient.

Does the statement not also imply that a subset containing a convergent sequence AND its limit must be a CLOSED subset in the metric space? This is the part I have a question about.

Why could a subset contain a convergent sequence and its limit, but be an OPEN subset?

Thanks in advanced for your help...

I assume your definition of a set S being closed is that it contains all of its limit points. So you are looking at the theorem that a set is closed if and only if the limit of any convergent sequence of points of S is itself in S. The "only if" part of this says:

If every converent sequence in S has its limit point in S, then S is closed. I think you are missing the "every". The problem with your example is there is a sequence in S that doesn't have the property: {1 - 1/n}, so the interval isn't closed.

I see! Quite an oversight on my part... thanks for the help!

1. What is the definition of a convergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is a sequence of numbers that approaches a specific value as the number of terms in the sequence increases. In other words, as the sequence goes on, the numbers get closer and closer to a fixed value known as the limit of the sequence.

2. How is the limit of a convergent sequence determined?

The limit of a convergent sequence can be determined by taking the limit of the terms in the sequence as the number of terms approaches infinity. If the limit exists and is equal to a specific value, then the sequence is said to be convergent and that value is the limit of the sequence.

3. What is the relationship between convergent sequences and closed sets?

A set is considered closed if it contains all of its limit points. In the context of convergence of sequences, a closed set can be thought of as a set that contains all of the possible limits of a convergent sequence within it. In other words, if a sequence converges to a limit, that limit must be contained within the closed set.

4. Can a sequence converge to more than one limit?

No, a sequence can only converge to one limit. This is because the definition of a convergent sequence states that as the number of terms in the sequence increases, the numbers get closer and closer to a specific value. If the sequence were to converge to more than one limit, then the numbers would not be getting closer and closer to a single value.

5. How can the convergence of a sequence be proven?

The convergence of a sequence can be proven by showing that the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to a specific value as the number of terms increases. This can be done through various methods such as the epsilon-delta definition of a limit, the comparison test, or the ratio test.