Finding resistance for NTC Thermistor @ 25C

In summary, when faced with a question about finding the resistance of an NTC thermistor at a specific temperature, it is important to double check calculations and values, as well as consider the possibility of variations in the thermistor's behavior. Consulting the thermistor's datasheet or manufacturer may also provide helpful information.
sighman
1. Homework Statement

Find the resistance of an NTC thermistor @ 25C, given a B value of 3950 K, operating temperature of -55C - +125C, with resistance ranging 5-100 kohm.

Basically I framed this as a question from the thermistor's respective datasheet (found at http://www.chipcatalog.com/Cantherm/MF52A683J3950.htm).

Homework Equations

[URL]http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/5/f/5/5f5cad47a4ac763753cefb833e3dc877.png[/URL]
From wikipedia's B value section of the thermistor article.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Since this is an NTC thermistor, I assume that resistance @ 125C is 5kohm. Using this as my reference, I have

R0 = 5
B = 3950
T = 298.15
T0 = 398.15

My answer is 139kohm is which ~2 the solution.

The correct solution is given as ~ 68k for the thermistor @ 25C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would first check my calculations to see if there were any errors or mistakes. I would also double check the values given in the question to make sure they are accurate. Additionally, I would check the thermistor's datasheet to see if there are any specific equations or formulas that should be used for calculating resistance at different temperatures. If there are no errors in my calculations and the values given are accurate, I would consider the possibility that the thermistor may not behave exactly as predicted by the B value equation and may have some variation in its resistance at different temperatures. In this case, it may be helpful to consult with the manufacturer or conduct further experiments to determine the most accurate resistance at 25C for this specific thermistor.

1. What is a NTC thermistor and how does it work?

A NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) thermistor is a type of temperature sensor that exhibits a decrease in resistance as temperature increases. This is due to its structure, which consists of a semiconductor material with a negative temperature coefficient of resistance. As the temperature rises, the electrons in the material gain more energy and become more mobile, resulting in a decrease in resistance.

2. Why is it important to find the resistance of a NTC thermistor at 25C?

25C, or 77F, is often considered the standard temperature for many applications. By finding the resistance of a NTC thermistor at this temperature, we can better understand its behavior and use it to accurately measure and control temperature in various systems.

3. How do you calculate the resistance of a NTC thermistor at 25C?

The resistance of a NTC thermistor at 25C can be calculated using the Steinhart-Hart equation, which takes into account the resistance at three different temperatures. Alternatively, it can be measured directly using a multimeter or a specialized NTC thermistor tester.

4. What factors can affect the resistance of a NTC thermistor at 25C?

The resistance of a NTC thermistor at 25C can be affected by various factors such as the type and composition of the semiconductor material, the size and shape of the thermistor, and environmental factors like humidity and contamination. Additionally, the resistance can also change over time due to aging and other factors.

5. Can the resistance of a NTC thermistor at 25C be used to determine its accuracy?

No, the resistance of a NTC thermistor at 25C alone cannot determine its accuracy. While a consistent and stable resistance at 25C is an important characteristic of a NTC thermistor, its accuracy also depends on other factors such as its temperature coefficient of resistance and linearity over a range of temperatures.