Discover the Best Fixtures for Compression Testing | Get Help Now!

In summary: Use the Report button to ask for move of the entire thread, not just duplicating the post.In summary, the person is seeking urgent help with homework problems related to compression testing. They are looking for information on possible fixtures for compression testing, the difficulties in determining elastic properties and flow curve for both test types, and methods to determine flow properties. They also mention confusion about the term "flow properties" and have posted their question in the homework section.
Gelate
urgent help needed: compression testing

hi guys, I have some homework problems about compression testing, please kindly help me out, I need to complete them by tomorrow but I have struggled for days...

1. what are the possible fixtures for compression testing?
--- contrast them with those used for the tensile test.
---List all the elements of design needed for a fixture of this type (e.g., alignment, surface finish & etc.)

2. What are the difficulties in determining both elastic properties and the flow curve for both test types?

3. Review the methods that could be used to determine the flow properties considering the possible sources of error considering and ranking each method in terms of accuracy. This review should include specific examples and sources of error.

I do understand the term "flow properties" -- does it mean "stress vs. strain curve"?

These problems confused me for the whole weekend... if you know answer to any of them, please kindly share with me-... no need to address all these questions in a time

many thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org

This needs to be posted in the homework section.

urgent help needed- compression testing

Homework Statement

hi guys, I have some homework problems about compression testing, please kindly help me out, I need to complete them by tomorrow but I have struggled for days...

1. what are the possible fixtures for compression testing?
--- contrast them with those used for the tensile test.
---List all the elements of design needed for a fixture of this type (e.g., alignment, surface finish & etc.)

2. What are the difficulties in determining both elastic properties and the flow curve for both test types?

3. Review the methods that could be used to determine the flow properties considering the possible sources of error considering and ranking each method in terms of accuracy. This review should include specific examples and sources of error.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was reading some mechanical books by Dieter and Dowling, but there is very limited information about compression testing fixture.
And I am not sure about term "flow properties" -- does it mean "stress vs. strain curve"?

These problems confused me for the whole weekend... if you know answer to any of them, please kindly share with me-... no need to address all these questions in a time

many thanks...

Gelate said:
thanks! I've moved it to the homework section --->
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2940609#post2940609

You don't "move" your own thread by making a duplicate post. You clidk the Report button, and ask the Mentors to move it. I've merged your two threads into this one here in the Homework Help forum.

1. What is compression testing?

Compression testing is a method used to determine the strength and resistance of a material to compressive forces. It involves applying a load to a material until it reaches its breaking point, and measuring the amount of force it takes to do so.

2. Why is compression testing important?

Compression testing is important because it helps determine the structural integrity and load-bearing capacity of a material. This information is crucial in various industries, such as construction, manufacturing, and materials science.

3. What types of materials can be tested using compression testing?

Compression testing can be used on a wide range of materials, including metals, plastics, ceramics, and concrete. It can also be used on finished products, such as car parts, furniture, and packaging materials.

4. How is a compression test performed?

In a compression test, a sample of the material is placed between two plates and a compressive force is applied using a testing machine. The force is gradually increased until the material breaks or reaches its maximum deformation. The resulting data is then analyzed to determine the material's compressive strength.

5. What are the benefits of compression testing?

Compression testing provides valuable data on a material's strength, stiffness, and durability. This information can be used to improve the design and manufacturing processes, ensure product quality, and prevent failures and accidents.