Calculating Altitude Using Barometer and Thermometer Readings

In summary, a scientist collects water from a stream while carrying a thermometer, barometer, pan, and gas camping stove up a mountain. He measures the temperature of the steam condensing on the thermometer to be 98°C. Using the equation p = ρgh, he can find the height of the column of mercury in the barometer. To estimate the altitude of the scientist relative to sea level, the density of air (1.186 kg m^{-3}) can also be used. The pressure of steam at 98°C can be used to rearrange the equation and find the height of the barometer. This is one method of solving the problem.
tweety1234

Homework Statement

a)
A scientist carries a thermometer, barometer, pan and gas camping stove up a mountain. At a certain point he collects water from a stream, boils it and measures the temperature of the steam condensing on the thermometer to be 98°C. What is the height of the column of mercury [itex] (density = 13560 kg m^{-3} ) [/itex] in the barometer?

b) Estimate the altitude of the scientist relative to sea level, assuming the density of air to be [itex] 1.186 kg m^{-3} [/itex] .

I am no sure how to do this question? Do I have to use steam tables?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's one of the ways of dealing with the problem.

Borek said:
That's one of the ways of dealing with the problem.

okay, how would I go about finding the height of the barometer? do I use this equation [tex] \bigtriangleup p = \rho g \bigtriangleup h [/tex] ?

No need for deltas, p=dgh correctly describes pressure at the bottom of the column of a liquid.

Borek said:
No need for deltas, p=dgh correctly describes pressure at the bottom of the column of a liquid.

Okay thanks,

So do I just get the pressure of steam at that temperature 98C, and than rearrange the equation to find h ?

Is this the correct method to work out the height of the barometer?

Looks like.

1. What is a mercury barometer reading?

A mercury barometer reading is a measurement of atmospheric pressure using a glass tube filled with mercury. The height of the mercury in the tube is used to determine the atmospheric pressure.

2. Why is a mercury barometer used for measuring atmospheric pressure?

A mercury barometer is used because mercury is a dense liquid and is not affected by changes in temperature or humidity. This makes it a reliable and accurate tool for measuring atmospheric pressure.

3. How do you read a mercury barometer?

To read a mercury barometer, you must first make sure it is level and that the mercury is not touching the top or bottom of the tube. Then, you can read the height of the mercury in millimeters and use a conversion chart to determine the atmospheric pressure in units such as millibars or inches of mercury.

4. What is a normal mercury barometer reading?

A normal mercury barometer reading is around 760 mmHg, which is equivalent to 1013 millibars or 29.92 inches of mercury. However, this can vary depending on location and weather conditions.

5. Why is it important to monitor mercury barometer readings?

Monitoring mercury barometer readings is important for predicting weather patterns and changes in atmospheric pressure. It can also help with detecting potential weather hazards such as storms or hurricanes. In addition, consistent monitoring can aid in tracking long-term climate trends.