Conceptual question, fluid pressure in a barometer

In summary, the pressure at the top of a mercury barometer is 0 because the column of mercury is at atmospheric pressure.
Addem

Homework Statement

I took a stab at the following question in a book:

"In one observation, the column in a mercury barometer has a
measured height h of 740.35 mm.The tem-
perature is -5.0 C, at which temperature the density of mercury r is
1.3608 10^4 kg/m^3 .The free-fall acceleration g at the site of the barom-
eter is 9.7835 m/s^2 .What is the atmospheric pressure at that site in pas-
cals and in torr (which is the common unit for barometer readings)?"

And I got the right answer, but it left me wondering why it was the right answer.

Homework Equations

[tex]p = p_0 + \rho g h[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation above with the obvious inputs except that I assumed p0 was 0 because I basically couldn't think of anything else to do. To within a very small error I got the same answer as the back of the book so I'm guessing I did this correctly, but is this correct or is there something I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Addem said:

Homework Statement

I took a stab at the following question in a book:

"In one observation, the column in a mercury barometer has a
measured height h of 740.35 mm.The tem-
perature is -5.0 C, at which temperature the density of mercury r is
1.3608 10^4 kg/m^3 .The free-fall acceleration g at the site of the barom-
eter is 9.7835 m/s^2 .What is the atmospheric pressure at that site in pas-
cals and in torr (which is the common unit for barometer readings)?"

And I got the right answer, but it left me wondering why it was the right answer.

Homework Equations

[tex]p = p_0 + \rho g h[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equation above with the obvious inputs except that I assumed p0 was 0 because I basically couldn't think of anything else to do. To within a very small error I got the same answer as the back of the book so I'm guessing I did this correctly, but is this correct or is there something I'm missing?
In a mercury barometer, what is p0 over the mercury column inside the barometer itself?

Likes Addem
In some odd coincidence I just finished watching a YouTube video in which the presenter says the pressure at the top is 0. I wasn't actually aware of that but I guess that makes good sense and answers the question! Thanks. :)

1. What is a barometer?

A barometer is a scientific instrument used to measure atmospheric pressure. It typically consists of a glass tube filled with mercury or other liquid, inverted into a reservoir of the same liquid. Changes in atmospheric pressure cause the liquid level in the tube to rise or fall, indicating the pressure.

2. How does a barometer measure fluid pressure?

A barometer measures fluid pressure through the use of a liquid-filled tube and a vacuum. The weight of the liquid in the tube exerts a force, called pressure, on the bottom of the tube. This pressure is then measured and converted into a numerical value, usually in units of millimeters or inches of mercury.

3. What is the relationship between fluid pressure and depth in a barometer?

The relationship between fluid pressure and depth in a barometer is directly proportional. This means that as the depth of the liquid in the tube increases, so does the pressure. The deeper the liquid, the higher the pressure will be.

4. Can other liquids besides mercury be used in a barometer?

Yes, other liquids can be used in a barometer, such as water, oil, or alcohol. However, mercury is the most commonly used liquid due to its high density and low vapor pressure, making it easier to measure and more accurate for atmospheric pressure readings.

5. How is a barometer used to predict weather?

A barometer can be used to predict weather by measuring changes in atmospheric pressure. A sudden drop in pressure usually indicates an approaching storm, while a steady rise in pressure suggests fair weather. Changes in pressure can also be used to monitor changes in altitude, as pressure decreases with increasing altitude.