Understanding Exothermic Reaction with a Catalyst - Tim's Questions

• Thread starter luthier
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Catalyst
In summary, the speaker is unsure about the role of catalysts in reactions and whether they affect temperature. They mention examples of catalytic heaters and wonder where the missing energy goes if the temperature is lower. They also question the function of a catalyst if it does not lower the temperature. They suggest looking into the strained lock and key model for more information.
luthier
I don't really understand about catalysts...
I am thinking about an exothermic reaction in the presance of a catalyst.
My understanding was that the catalyst lowers the energy threshold for the reactants to
commence reacting. ( I think that was gotten from shell theory and bonding energys )

My question is... does the catalyst effect the tempature durring the reaction ?
Does the reaction happen at a lower tempature in the presance of a catalyst ?

I am thinking of examples like the catalytic heaters which use propane ... Is that
reaction cooler than an open and maximum tempature burning flame ?

If it IS lower temp... then the question becomes - where did the missing energy go ?

If it is not a lower temp- but the same- then what function is the catalyst serveing ?

Any ideas ?
Tim

Physics news on Phys.org
luthier said:
I don't really understand about catalysts...
I am thinking about an exothermic reaction in the presance of a catalyst.
My understanding was that the catalyst lowers the energy threshold for the reactants to
commence reacting. ( I think that was gotten from shell theory and bonding energys )

My question is... does the catalyst effect the tempature durring the reaction ?
Does the reaction happen at a lower tempature in the presance of a catalyst ?

I am thinking of examples like the catalytic heaters which use propane ... Is that
reaction cooler than an open and maximum tempature burning flame ?

If it IS lower temp... then the question becomes - where did the missing energy go ?

If it is not a lower temp- but the same- then what function is the catalyst serveing ?

Any ideas ?
Tim

It's possible that the temperature is reduced, look into strained lock and key ideas, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enzyme#.22Lock_and_key.22_model ?

1. What is an exothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of heat. This means that the products of the reaction have less energy than the reactants.

2. What is a catalyst?

A catalyst is a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction without being consumed in the reaction itself. It works by providing an alternative pathway for the reaction to occur with lower activation energy, making it easier for the reaction to take place.

3. How does a catalyst affect an exothermic reaction?

A catalyst can increase the rate of an exothermic reaction by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. This means that the reaction can happen faster and release more energy in a shorter amount of time.

4. Can a catalyst change the products of an exothermic reaction?

No, a catalyst does not change the products of an exothermic reaction. It only affects the rate at which the reaction occurs by lowering the activation energy.

5. What types of reactions can be exothermic?

Many different types of reactions can be exothermic, including combustion, neutralization, and oxidation. Basically, any reaction that releases heat energy is considered exothermic.