Kinetic/Potential Energy Change in an Exothermic Reaction

In summary: Therefore, the correct answer is a) for both open and closed systems. In summary, in an exothermic reaction, potential energy is converted into heat and released into the surroundings, resulting in an increase of kinetic energy and a decrease of potential energy. In a closed system, the work is applied to the product, increasing its kinetic energy.
michaelplease
I am having trouble understanding what exactly happens in an exothermic reaction. Specifically, I need to answer the following question:

In an exothermic reaction:
a) the kinetic energy increases and the potential energy decreases.
b) the kinetic energy and the potential energy decrease.

But I also would like to clarify my understanding of the subject.

The way I understand it (which is probably flawed) is that the answer should be a). In an exothermic reaction, potential energy (from bonds) is converted into kinetic energy/heat that is released.

Assuming an open system, does this heat go immediately into the surroundings, or does it have to be applied to the product first (thereby raising the temperature of the product, then by conduction the temperature of the surroundings)? If it does go immediately into the surroundings, how would this be possible?

In either case, my reasoning is that a) would be the correct answer. If the potential energy is converted into heat that is applied to the product itself, then the kinetic energy would increase. If it is released directly into the environment, the kinetic energy would not directly be changed, but by conduction, kinetic energy would be transferred from the surroundings back into the product.

And if it were a closed system, would the work just be applied to the product, in which case its kinetic energy would increase?

Please help me understand, and correct me!

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is a). In an exothermic reaction, potential energy (from bonds) is converted into kinetic energy/heat that is released. This heat is usually released directly into the surroundings, where it is transferred by conduction to the environment. This transfer of heat decreases the potential energy of the reaction, while the kinetic energy of the system increases. In a closed system, the work is applied to the product, raising its kinetic energy.

1. What is an exothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction is a chemical reaction that releases energy in the form of heat. This means that the products of the reaction have less energy than the reactants, resulting in a decrease in temperature of the surrounding environment.

2. How does an exothermic reaction relate to kinetic and potential energy?

In an exothermic reaction, the potential energy of the reactants is converted into kinetic energy as the reaction proceeds. This kinetic energy is then released as heat, resulting in a decrease in potential energy and an increase in kinetic energy of the products.

3. What factors affect the change in kinetic and potential energy in an exothermic reaction?

The change in kinetic and potential energy in an exothermic reaction is affected by the type of reactants, the concentration of reactants, the temperature, and the presence of a catalyst. These factors can influence the rate and extent of the reaction, which in turn affects the amount of energy released.

4. Can the change in kinetic and potential energy be measured in an exothermic reaction?

Yes, the change in energy can be measured using a calorimeter or other devices that can measure temperature changes. By measuring the change in temperature, the change in kinetic and potential energy can be calculated using the appropriate formulas.

5. How is the change in kinetic and potential energy used in real-world applications?

The energy released in an exothermic reaction can be used in various real-world applications such as powering engines in vehicles, generating electricity, and producing heat for cooking and heating. It is also utilized in many industrial processes, such as the production of fuels and chemicals.