Find the Best Water Pressure Sensor for Your Tank

In summary, the person is looking for a pressure sensor to measure the water level in their tank and display it on a 3 seven segment display. They have searched online and found many options but are unsure which one to use. They also mention the option of using a scale to measure the water level. However, someone suggests using a pressure sensor at the bottom of the tank or using a float and potentiometer system to measure the water level. These options would avoid having electric cables immersed in water.
hisham.i
I have a water tank, and i want to make a circuit that measures the water height, and display the value on a 3 seven segment display as a percentage of the total height.

So am searching for a pressure sensor that i want to put in the tank.

Can anyone advise me for a sensor number that i may use for such application.

I search on google, and i found many types of pressure sensors but i don't know which one i should use for my application.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Something like this?
PX40_m.jpg

http://www.omega.com/prodinfo/pressuretransducers.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think this will fit the application, since the sensor should be immersed in water( at the bottom of water tank).

I think i need something like the sensor that measures the level of benzene in cars.

Can't you just use a scale? You have a known volume (the tank) and water is 1kg per liter. Okay, so 1kg per liter probably isn't totally accurate but it's pretty close and probably going to have about the same precision as what you're proposing. Anyway, you could always account for that by recalculating how much 1L of water weighs by measuring the ambient temperature and pressure.

That's one way to do it...

hisham.i said:
I don't think this will fit the application, since the sensor should be immersed in water( at the bottom of water tank).

I think i need something like the sensor that measures the level of benzene in cars.

A water tank will normally have a pipe outlet near the bottom and the pressure in this pipe will be the same as at the bottom of the tank when no water is flowing.
So this would be a convenient place to put a pressure sensor. You then don't have to have electric cables immersed in water.

Another approach is to have a small compressor and blow air down a pipe in the tank until bubbles come out of the end of the pipe near the bottom of the tank. The air pressure needed to do this will depend on the depth of water in the tank.
You only need to do this when a reading is being taken.
This also avoids having electric cables immersed in water, which is always a high maintenance problem.

The fuel gauge in a car is operated by a float rotating a potentiometer. You can do something similar by having a float rise with water level and rotate a pulley which turns a potentiometer.
You can get 10 turn potentiometers, so you could work out the pulley diameter depending on the depth of your tank.
If the tank was 2 M deep, each turn of the pot would need 20 cm of pulley circumferance so the pulley would have a diameter of 6.3 cm or 2.5 inches.

1. How do I know what type of water pressure sensor is best for my tank?

The best water pressure sensor for your tank will depend on several factors, such as the size and type of your tank, the type of water being measured, and the required accuracy and precision of the measurements. It is important to research and compare different sensors to find one that meets your specific needs.

2. What is the most accurate type of water pressure sensor?

The most accurate type of water pressure sensor is a piezoresistive sensor, which uses the piezoelectric effect to measure changes in pressure. These sensors have a high level of sensitivity and can provide precise measurements. However, they may be more expensive than other types of sensors.

3. How do I calibrate a water pressure sensor?

To calibrate a water pressure sensor, you will need a known pressure source, such as a pressure gauge or manual pump. Connect the sensor to the source and adjust the sensor's output to match the known pressure. Repeat this process at different pressure levels to ensure accurate calibration.

4. Can I install a water pressure sensor myself?

While it is possible to install a water pressure sensor yourself, it is recommended to have a professional do the installation. This will ensure proper placement and calibration of the sensor, which is crucial for accurate measurements. Additionally, a professional can troubleshoot any issues that may arise during the installation process.

5. How often do water pressure sensors need to be replaced?

The lifespan of a water pressure sensor can vary depending on the type and quality of the sensor, as well as the conditions it is exposed to. In general, it is recommended to replace a water pressure sensor every 5-10 years to ensure accurate and reliable measurements. However, regular maintenance and calibration can extend the lifespan of a sensor.