Is Air Dragged into Water When Using a Spoon with a Hole?

In summary, water can contain dissolved oxygen, which can cause bubbles to form when agitated. This does not necessarily mean that air has gotten into the water. Agitation, such as stirring or shaking, can release dissolved gases. A pressure reduction behind an object dragged through water can also cause air to be dragged down into the water, resulting in bubbles. If further clarification is needed, it is recommended to post a video for a better understanding of the situation.
bhpv
Hi,

If i use a spoon with a hole in it in a cup of water, bubbles emerge. Does that mean that air got in?

Regards,

Justin

Physics news on Phys.org
Water can contain disolved oxygen so could just be that. You haven't really given us much info.

CWatters said:
Water can contain disolved oxygen so could just be that. You haven't really given us much info.

Isnt that impossible? Simply mixing something in water does not bring chemical reactions into place. Also not putting oxygen together. Or do you mean water with bubbles?

I mean normal water at the kitchen sink.

Agitation (eg stirring) is a good way to release disolved gasses. Try shaking a can of soda before opening it.

CWatters said:
Agitation (eg stirring) is a good way to release disolved gasses. Try shaking a can of soda before opening it.

Ok, if there is reaction to agitation, this is chemical. I try to see how 'big' bubbles come into existence by say stirring with a kind of stick.

Cavitation?

Edit: Perhaps I'd better explain... When an object is dragged through water you can get a pressure reduction behind the object. This can cause air to be dragged down into the water.

If not that then I suggest you post a video.

Last edited:

1. What is a torus and how does it relate to water?

A torus is a three-dimensional shape that resembles a donut or inner tube. It is formed by rotating a circle around a central axis. Water can be contained within a torus shape due to its circular curvature, making it an ideal shape for water tanks or bottles.

2. Can water flow through a torus?

Yes, water can flow through a torus. The circular shape of the torus allows for a continuous flow of water without any interruptions or corners that may cause turbulence.

3. What are the advantages of using a torus for storing water?

One advantage of using a torus for storing water is its efficient use of space. The circular shape allows for maximum storage capacity without taking up too much surface area. Additionally, the continuous flow of water within a torus helps maintain its quality and prevents stagnation.

4. Are there any limitations to using a torus for water storage?

One limitation is that torus-shaped water tanks may be more difficult to clean compared to traditional rectangular or cylindrical tanks. Additionally, the circular shape may not be suitable for all types of water storage needs, such as for industrial purposes.

5. How is the torus shape used in water treatment processes?

Torus-shaped chambers are often used in water treatment processes, specifically in the coagulation and flocculation stages. The circular shape allows for effective mixing of chemicals and particles, resulting in the formation of larger particles that can be easily removed from the water.