Satellite orbiting the earth

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a satellite that must remain above the same point on Earth. The first part of the problem involves finding the radius of the satellite's orbit, which can be solved using the equation T^2=(2*pi*r/v)^2. However, since only the mass of Earth is given and not its radius, the value for R(earth) cannot be determined. The second part of the problem involves finding the inclination of the satellite's orbit relative to the North-South axis of Earth. This requires using Newton's 2nd law, gravity, and circular motion to solve for the angle. It is concluded that the satellite must be above the equator in order to remain above the same point on Earth
mmh37
Hi everyone!
I have some trouble with the following problem. Can anyone give me a hint?

This is the problem:

A sattelite is to be located always above the same point on Earth. What is the radius of its orbit and how is the plane of the orbit inclined wrt the North-South axis of Earth?

my attempt:

1) find angular velocity w of the Earth (one rotation per day) and this must be the same for the sattelite

now,

[tex] T^2=(2*pi*r / v)^2 [/tex]

where v = w * R(earth)

HOWEVER: only m(earth) and not R(earth) is given in the question. Therefore I do not "officially" know R(earth)

2) I have no idea how to do this one. I have been thinking this through several times already, but I do not see to which known quantity the angle could be related

If anyone would be able to give me a hint (or two :wink: ), that would be amazing!
Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
What conditions must be met for a circular orbit about the earth? Hint: Think Newton's 2nd law, gravity, and circular motion.

Thanks for this. I think it works like this:

[tex] F = \frac {G*m*M} {R} = m*v^2 /R [/tex]

solve for v

now [tex] a = v^2/R = w*v [/tex]

Therefore using Newton's 2nd law and zentripedal force:

[tex] m*a = m*w*v = mv^2/R [/tex]

So, now we just have to solve for R.

However, I still really don't see anything for part b). I don't see how the angle is related to any of the known quantities...if I try and visualize it I always come to the conclusion that it must be 90 degrees, as the satellite should stay above the same point on the earth.

Last edited:
mmh37 said:

Watch out...the force goes like 1/r^2

solve for v

However, I still really don't see anything for part b). I don't see how the angle is related to any of the known quantities...if I try and visualize it I always come to the conclusion that it must be 90 degrees, as the satellite should stay above the same point on the earth.
That' sright.. The satellite must be above the equator.

Patrick

mmh37 said:

solve for v

As nrqed already explained, you missed a factor of R in your expression for gravitational force. Also, you might find a different expression for centripetal acceleration easier to work with:
[tex]a_c = v^2/R = \omega^2 R[/tex]

Right, you need to use the fact that the orbit time is a day, because it stays over the same point on the Earth all the time (It must be over the equator for this to be possible i think).
then use the equation that has already been put on the thread, in words:

radius of the sattelites orbit to the power of three is equal to universal gravitational constant multiplied by the mass of the earth, divided by the satellites angular velocity squared.

r^3 = (GM)/w^2

G = 6.67x10^-11
mass of Earth = 6x10^24 (approx)

I have worked it out below so if you want to do it for yourself then don't look! hope this helped!

if it has to orbit over the same point above the Earth all the time, it must have an orbit time period of 24 hours (approximately) which is 86400 seconds. so it's frequencey is 1/86400, which is (1.15 x10^-5).
angular velocity, w = 2pi x f = (7.27 x 10^-5)

if radius of orbit is r, r^3 = (GM)/w^2

r^3 = (6.67x10^-11 x 6x10^24)/(7.27x10^-5)^2
r^3 = 7.57x10^22
r = 4.23 x 10^7 to 3 significant figures

maltesers said:
Right, you need to use the fact that the orbit time is a day, because it stays over the same point on the Earth all the time (It must be over the equator for this to be possible i think).
then use the equation that has already been put on the thread, in words:

radius of the sattelites orbit to the power of three is equal to universal gravitational constant multiplied by the mass of the earth, divided by the satellites angular velocity squared.

r^3 = (GM)/w^2

G = 6.67x10^-11
mass of Earth = 6x10^24 (approx)

I have worked it out below so if you want to do it for yourself then don't look! hope this helped!

if it has to orbit over the same point above the Earth all the time, it must have an orbit time period of 24 hours (approximately) which is 86400 seconds. so it's frequencey is 1/86400, which is (1.15 x10^-5).
angular velocity, w = 2pi x f = (7.27 x 10^-5)

if radius of orbit is r, r^3 = (GM)/w^2

r^3 = (6.67x10^-11 x 6x10^24)/(7.27x10^-5)^2
r^3 = 7.57x10^22
r = 4.23 x 10^7 to 3 significant figures

Complete solutions shouldn't generally be posted. It is more constructive for people to work through the problems themselves. It also deters the people who just want us to do their homework for them :frown:

What is a satellite orbiting the earth?

A satellite orbiting the earth is a man-made object that is placed into space and continuously revolves around the earth due to the force of gravity.

How many satellites are currently orbiting the earth?

As of 2021, there are over 2,200 active satellites orbiting the earth, with thousands more that are no longer operational.

What is the purpose of a satellite orbiting the earth?

Satellites orbiting the earth have a variety of purposes, including communication, navigation, weather forecasting, remote sensing, and scientific research.

How are satellites placed into orbit?

Satellites are launched into space using rockets and then placed into their designated orbits using thrusters or other propulsion systems.

How long do satellites typically remain in orbit?

The lifespan of a satellite can vary greatly depending on its purpose and design. Some satellites may only last a few years, while others can remain in orbit for decades.