What is the Correct Radius and Mass of Earth for Satellite Orbit Calculations?

In summary, a satellite orbit problem refers to any issue that affects the orbit of a satellite, such as trajectory, stability, or position. These problems can be caused by various factors including gravitational forces, atmospheric drag, and technical malfunctions. They are typically resolved through adjustments to the satellite's trajectory or physical repairs. These problems can significantly impact communication and data transmission, but they can be prevented through careful planning and maintenance of the satellite.
TjGrinnell
Homework Statement
I have a satellite with a mass of 30.0 kg that I wish to put into a circular orbit 450,000 m above the surface of the earth.
15. How much will the potential energy of the satellite – earth system increase by?
16. What must the kinetic energy of the satellite be when it is in orbit?
17. What will the magnitude of the gravitational force on the satellite be when it is in orbit?
18. What will the period of the satellite's orbit be? If the orbit is above the earth's equator, how long will it take for me to see the satellite again in the same spot in the sky?
Relevant Equations
U(g)=-(GM(p)m(s))/r^2
I just have a question on the problem itself. If I am putting the satellite into orbit 450,000 m above the surface, then would r=6,371,000 m(earth's radius)+450,000 m? And what mass of Earth should I be using, in kg of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
TjGrinnell said:
I just have a question on the problem itself. If I am putting the satellite into orbit 450,000 m above the surface, then would r=6,371,000 m(earth's radius)+450,000 m?
Yes.
TjGrinnell said:
And what mass of Earth should I be using, in kg of course.
Look it up on the web, I have not memorized it.

1. What are satellite orbit problems?

Satellite orbit problems refer to any issues or challenges that arise when attempting to place a satellite into orbit around a planet or other celestial body. These problems can include technical difficulties, atmospheric conditions, and orbital mechanics.

2. What are the main factors that can affect a satellite's orbit?

The main factors that can affect a satellite's orbit include the gravitational pull of the planet or celestial body it is orbiting, atmospheric drag, solar radiation pressure, and the satellite's own propulsion system.

3. How do scientists calculate and predict satellite orbits?

Scientists use mathematical equations and computer simulations to calculate and predict satellite orbits. This involves considering the gravitational forces acting on the satellite, as well as its speed and direction of travel.

4. What are some common issues that can arise during satellite orbit insertion?

Some common issues that can arise during satellite orbit insertion include insufficient thrust or fuel, incorrect trajectory calculations, and unexpected atmospheric conditions. These issues can result in the satellite failing to reach its intended orbit or becoming stranded in an incorrect orbit.

5. How do scientists troubleshoot and solve satellite orbit problems?

To troubleshoot and solve satellite orbit problems, scientists may use various techniques such as adjusting the satellite's trajectory, performing orbital maneuvers, or deploying backup systems. They may also rely on data from ground stations and other satellites to gather information and make necessary adjustments.