Diff EQ: Mixing Problem What am I doing wrong?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a tank containing salt and water, with pure water entering and the solution draining at certain rates. The conversation then delves into mathematical equations and steps to reach a solution, including a mistake in one of the equations that led to an incorrect answer. The correct answer was eventually found through further calculations.
space_yes

Homework Statement

Alright, I know this has been done in various incarnations but I haven't found an example exactly similar to mine..

A tank contains 60kg of salt and 1000L of water. Pure water enters the tank at the rate of 8L/min. The solution is thoroughly mixed and drains at a rate of 4L/min. Find the amount of salt in the tank after 2 hours.

Homework Equations

y(t) = amount of salt in the tank after t minutes
v(t) = volume of water in the tank after t minutes

v(t) = 1000 + 8t-4t = 1000 + 4t

dy/dt = rate in - rate out

dy/dt = 8L/min * 0kg/L - y kg/(1000 + 4t L) * 4L/min

dy/dt = - 4y/(1000+4t)

The Attempt at a Solution

Separating...

dy/4y = - dt/(1000 + 4t)

Integrating both sides...

(1/4)Ln(y) = -(1/4)Ln(250+t)+c

y^(1/4) = (e^c)/(250+4t)^(1/4)

Let k be the arbitrary constant = e^c

y^(1/4) = k/(250 + 4t)^(1/4)

y = k/(250+4t)

Using the initial conditions...

60 = k/(250 + 4*0)
k = 15000

y = 15000/(250 + 4t) <--- this is not right
y(120) = 20.5479 <--- this is not right

The correct answer = 40.5405405405...

Physics news on Phys.org
space_yes said:

y^(1/4) = (e^c)/(250+4t)^(1/4)

I'm not sure how you got from the first equation to the second, but if you fix this step, you'd get the right answer.

I raised both sides to powers of e to remove the natural logs so I can get an expression for y...

...should I be doing something else there?

I figured it out... the step where I let k = e^c is the problem. Leaving e^c and continuing we would have:

y = e^(4c)/(250+4t)

Letting k = e^(4c)...

y = k/(250+4t)

Solving for k = 15000...

Now solving for c to find the numerator in the expression for y...

15000 = e^(4c)
c = ln(15000)/4

Putting c back into e^(4c)/(250+4t) yields the correct expression:

y(t) = (e^(ln(15000))/(250+4t)

y(120) = 40.5405...

No, y(t) = (e^(ln(15000))/(250+4t) simplifies to 15000/(250+4t), because e^x and ln x are like addition and subtraction; if you take the log of a number and then raise e to the power of the result, you'll get the original number back. If you evaluate (e^(ln(15000))/(250+4t) correctly for t=120, you still get 20.5, not 40.5.

At this step:

You should notice that you can multiply both sides by 4 to get:

ln y = -ln(250+t) + C
y=k/(250+t), where k is a constant.
You got y=k/(250+4t) instead of y=k/(250+t), which isn't right.

Thanks for the reply! I actually ended up getting the right answer b/c I worked out the problem out in mathematica and it correctly simplified. However, I didn't notice (what you and Mathematica did) the discrepancy between my written work (posted) and my code ergo my erroneous function y(120) = 40... when it ='d 20...

:biggrin:

1. What is a mixing problem in differential equations?

A mixing problem involves finding the concentration of a substance in a mixture over time, based on its rate of input and output. This is typically represented by a differential equation.

2. How do I set up a mixing problem differential equation?

To set up a mixing problem differential equation, you need to identify the rate of input and output of the substance in the mixture. This can be represented by a function of time. You also need to consider the initial concentration of the substance in the mixture.

3. Why is my solution to the mixing problem differential equation not matching my experimental data?

There could be several reasons for this. It's possible that your initial conditions or rate functions are incorrect. It's also possible that you are not using the correct method to solve the differential equation. Double-check all of your inputs and try using a different method to solve the equation.

4. How do I know which method to use to solve a mixing problem differential equation?

The method you use to solve a mixing problem differential equation will depend on the form of the equation. For example, if the equation is separable, you can use the separation of variables method. If it is a linear equation, you can use the integrating factor method. It's important to study the different methods and understand when to use each one.

5. Can I use a computer to solve a mixing problem differential equation?

Yes, you can use a computer or software program to solve a mixing problem differential equation. This can be helpful for more complex equations or when you want to compare your solution to experimental data. However, it's still important to understand the methods and be able to solve the equation by hand as well.