Research F1 Physics: Basics & Beyond

• Thread starter Arctic Raptor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the physics of Formula One racing is very complex and includes topics such as the doppler effect, engine development, and downforce.
Arctic Raptor
I need to do some research on the physics of F1, and it can't be too complicated.
I've already got centripetal force, but can't think of any more at the moment :S

Help please?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
are you talkin about the Formula One motorsports competiton?

The doppler effect would be a good subject with F1.

Physics of F1 is a bit broad. Could you narrow that down to a more specific aim.

And Turv I like how you got the doppler effect in there. I would have never thought of that, but it is the thing people think about when you ask them to make the noise of a grand prix car. NEEEEEEEEEOWWWWWWWWW!

There was a show in either discovery or history channel about exactly this. The g-forces around turns and such are completely insane.

i don't have access to my notes but a few things to ponder regarding F1. This is the highest level of racing. It has evolved over time and is the classic Rules versus car owner ingenutiy. the previous posts are addressing cornering as far as the most popular topic. engine development is another big part but don't think we need to go into 22,000 RPM ear splitting detail in thispost. the insane cornering Gs are mainly due to lots of Aero stuffm tire deveolpment, and ultra trick suspension..there is so much down force available on these cars tha ttheoretically they could drive upside down on the ceiling...so recommend you start looking at the Aero aspect

some other ideas:

-simple kinematics, acceleration times, things like that
-softening of the tires due to temperatures caused by friciton
-the way the cars are designed to give massive downward force (kind of like an opposite wing)

The downforces are amazing. These cars could literally run on the ceiling if the track was built upside down.

very cool...someone needs to build a track that starts normally and then curls upside down so I can see this in action.

1. What is the purpose of "Research F1 Physics: Basics & Beyond"?

The purpose of "Research F1 Physics: Basics & Beyond" is to provide an in-depth understanding of the fundamentals of F1 physics and to explore advanced concepts and applications in the field of research.

2. Who is the target audience for this research?

The target audience for this research is scientists, researchers, and students who are interested in the field of F1 physics and want to gain a deeper understanding of its principles and applications.

3. What are some of the basic concepts covered in this research?

Some of the basic concepts covered in this research include Newton's laws of motion, forces and motion, energy, and momentum. These concepts are essential for understanding the principles of F1 physics.

4. How does this research contribute to the field of F1 physics?

This research contributes to the field of F1 physics by providing a comprehensive and detailed analysis of the fundamental principles and advanced concepts in the field. It also explores current research and advancements in the field, providing insights and potential areas for further research.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the research covered in "Research F1 Physics: Basics & Beyond"?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the research covered in "Research F1 Physics: Basics & Beyond". These include understanding the aerodynamics of F1 cars, developing advanced technologies for race car design, and improving the performance and safety of F1 drivers and teams.