To find direction and magnitude of forces acting in a system

In summary, Mitch is trying to find the magnitude of S and F1 in order to answer the first part of the question. He has shown that sin(2ϴ) and cos(2ϴ) have a trig identity, but he is not yet closer to solving for Φ.
gnits
Homework Statement
To find direction and magnitude of forces acting in a system
Relevant Equations
moments and force balancing
Please could I ask for help with the following:

OQ.JPG

Here is my diagram, I show the rod displaced from the sphere so as to label the internal forces acting on each of the rod and the sphere:

O.png

In the diagram below I have added the line through DE at angle ꞷ the the horizontal, and a few other angles.

O1.png

From sum of angles in triangle ADE = 180 I have:

ꞷ = 90 - ϴ

Here's my plan of attack:

I need to show that the angle which the resultant of S and F1 makes with he horizontal is ꞷ, the same as that of line connecting D and E. If I can do this then I will have answered the first part of the question.

So I need to show that 90 - 2ϴ + Φ = 90 - ϴ

i.e. that:

Φ = ϴ

Considering only the sphere and taking moments clockwise about D I have:

S * a * sin(2ϴ) - F1 * a * (1 + sin(90 - 2ϴ) ) = 0

which gives:

S = F1 * (1 + cos(2ϴ)) / sin(2ϴ)

So I know that S is (1 + cos(2ϴ)) / sin(2ϴ) times bigger that F1. So:

tan(Φ) = F1 / S = sin(2ϴ) / (1 + cos(2ϴ) )

Well, this isn't getting me nearer to showing that Φ = ϴ.

Thanks for any help...

Physics news on Phys.org
gnits said:
tan(Φ) = F1 / S = sin(2ϴ) / (1 + cos(2ϴ) )

Well, this isn't getting me nearer to showing that Φ = ϴ.
Use trig identities for sin(2ϴ) and cos(2ϴ).

But there is an easier way to show that the net force ##\vec F_E## acting on the sphere at point E acts along ED. You have shown that you realize that ##\vec F_E## produces zero torque about D.

Likes Lnewqban
TSny said:
Use trig identities for sin(2ϴ) and cos(2ϴ).

But there is an easier way to show that the net force ##\vec F_E## acting on the sphere at point E acts along ED. You have shown that you realize that ##\vec F_E## produces zero torque about D.
Thanks very much. I was so close with my method but didn't know it. Will look for the simpler route you hint at also and then I'll move move on to the next part, that of having to actually find the magnitudes of S and F1.

Thanks again,
Mitch.

Likes TSny

What is meant by "direction and magnitude of forces"?

"Direction and magnitude of forces" refers to the two components that fully describe a force acting on an object. The direction of a force is the orientation in which the force is applied, while the magnitude is the strength or size of the force.

Why is it important to find the direction and magnitude of forces in a system?

Knowing the direction and magnitude of forces in a system is crucial for understanding how the system will behave. It allows us to predict the motion of objects and determine whether the system is in equilibrium or if it will experience acceleration.

What tools or techniques can be used to find the direction and magnitude of forces?

There are several methods that can be used to find the direction and magnitude of forces, including vector diagrams, trigonometric functions, and force tables. These tools can help break down a force into its components and determine the overall direction and magnitude.

How can we determine the direction of a force in a system?

The direction of a force can be determined by using a compass or by measuring the angle between the force and a reference direction. It can also be found by analyzing the direction of motion or acceleration of an object in the system.

What factors can affect the magnitude of a force in a system?

The magnitude of a force can be affected by various factors, such as the mass of the objects involved, the distance between them, and the type of force (e.g. gravitational, electric, etc.). Additionally, the direction of the force and any external influences, such as friction or air resistance, can also impact its magnitude.