Sequence limit defintion proof

In summary, we are trying to show that ##\lim \sqrt{x_n}=\sqrt{x}## by using the given hint, which states that ##\sqrt{x_n} -\sqrt{x} = \frac{x_n-x}{\sqrt{x_n} +\sqrt{x}}##. This can be derived by recognizing that ##a-b = (\sqrt{a})^2 - (\sqrt{b})^2##. By substituting this into our limit definition for ##\sqrt{x_n}## and using the given hint, we can finish the proof.
Lee33

Homework Statement

If ##X=(x_n)## is a positive sequence which converges to ##x##, then ##(\sqrt {x_n})## converges to ##\sqrt x.##

2. The attempt at a solution

I was given a hint: ##\sqrt x_n -\sqrt x = \frac{x_n-x}{\sqrt x_n +\sqrt x}.##

How can I obtain that hint if it were never given to me?

My attempt:

We are given that ##\lim x_n=x.## thus given ##\epsilon>0## there exists an ##N## such that ##|x_n−x|<\epsilon## for all ##n\ge N.##

For ##\lim \sqrt {x_n}=\sqrt x##, given any ##\epsilon>0## there is an ##N## such that ##|\sqrt x_n -\sqrt x|<\epsilon##, for all ##n\ge N## [tex]|\sqrt{x_n} -\sqrt{x}|=\frac{|x_n-x|}{|\sqrt{x_n} +\sqrt{x}|} ...[/tex]

How can I finish this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lee33 said:

Homework Statement

If ##X=(x_n)## is a positive sequence which converges to ##x##, then ##(\sqrt {x_n})## converges to ##\sqrt x.##

My attempt:

We are given that ##\lim x_n=x.## thus given ##\epsilon>0## there exists an ##N## such that ##|x_n−x|<\epsilon## for all ##n\ge N.##

For ##\lim \sqrt {x_n}=\sqrt x##, given any ##\epsilon>0## there is an ##N## such that ##|\sqrt x_n -\sqrt x|<\epsilon##, for all ##n\ge N## [tex]|\sqrt{x_n} -\sqrt{x}|=\frac{|x_n-x|}{|\sqrt{x_n} +\sqrt{x}|} ...[/tex]

How can I finish this?

Remember first that your two limit definitions (in your two last lines), one for each sequence does NOT require that the "epsilon" and "N" included are the same quantities in each line. Agreed?

Secondly, in your last line, you have a fraction. Please say what we can estimate about its magnitude, with reference to the definition you set up in your first line.

arildno said:
Remember first that your two limit definitions (in your two last lines), one for each sequence does NOT require that the "epsilon" and "N" included are the same quantities in each line. Agreed?

Secondly, in your last line, you have a fraction. Please say what we can estimate about its magnitude, with reference to the definition you set up in your first line.

I did not understand what you meant. Can you elaborate further, please?

Lee33 said:

Homework Statement

Recognize that ##a-b = (\sqrt{a})^2 - (\sqrt{b})^2##.

My attempt:

How can I finish this?

Lee33 said:
I did not understand what you meant. Can you elaborate further, please?
It would help if you'd identify what exactly you didn't understand. Right now, it just seems like you read what arildno wrote, didn't really think much about it, and simply said "I don't get it."

I did not understand what he meant. Which is why I need further elaboration.

1. What is a sequence limit definition proof?

A sequence limit definition proof is a mathematical proof that shows that a sequence of numbers, as the number of terms increases, approaches a particular value or limit. This means that the sequence gets closer and closer to the limit, but never reaches it.

2. How do you prove a sequence limit definition?

To prove a sequence limit definition, you need to show that for any arbitrarily small positive number, there exists a term in the sequence such that all the terms after it are within that small distance from the limit. This is known as the epsilon-delta definition of a limit.

3. What is the importance of sequence limit definition proofs?

Sequence limit definition proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and formal way to prove that a sequence converges to a particular limit. They are also fundamental in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus and real analysis.

4. What are the key steps in a sequence limit definition proof?

The key steps in a sequence limit definition proof include setting an arbitrarily small positive number (epsilon), finding a term in the sequence after which all the terms are within epsilon distance from the limit (delta), and showing that this term satisfies the definition of a limit.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid in sequence limit definition proofs?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid in sequence limit definition proofs include assuming that the limit exists before proving it, using the wrong definition of a limit, and not considering all possible values of epsilon and delta. It is important to carefully follow the steps and definitions in order to avoid these and other mistakes.