How to Cut Metal to Produce Specific Musical Notes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of creating a xylophone from a piece of metal by cutting it to produce specific notes, starting with Middle C and continuing for an octave. The equation v = f(lambda) is mentioned, which relates velocity, frequency, and wavelength. The person has attempted to randomly cut the metal but is struggling to achieve the desired notes and is unsure how to calculate the frequency without a frequency meter. They are seeking help with using a calculator to calculate the wavelength and frequency.
BarCode

Homework Statement

What I want to do is have a piece of metal, then determine the length to cut it to produce the note Middle C, and so on for an octave (exclude sharps and flats). So pretty much a xylophone made from scratch.

Homework Equations

v = f(lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just randomly cut the metal, and it sounds nowhere near the real notes I'm trying to achieve. I know I need to find out the wavelength, but I have no idea how to calculate the frequency without a frequency meter.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a calculator, but I don't know how to use it to calculate the wavelength/frequency. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest using the equation v = f(lambda) to calculate the wavelength for each note. This equation relates the speed of sound (v) to the frequency (f) and wavelength (lambda) of a sound wave. By doing some research on the speed of sound and the desired frequencies for each note, you can calculate the corresponding wavelength and then cut the metal to that length. It may also be helpful to consult a music theory or acoustics resource to determine the exact frequencies for each note in an octave. Additionally, experimenting with different lengths and adjusting as needed may also be necessary to achieve the desired sound. Good luck with your homemade xylophone!

Related to How to Cut Metal to Produce Specific Musical Notes?

What is the formula for calculating the length of a note?

The formula for calculating the length of a note is: length = beats * (60 / tempo), where beats is the number of beats in the note and tempo is the tempo in beats per minute.

What are beats and tempo in the calculation of note length?

Beats refer to the rhythmic value of a note, which determines how long the note is held or played. Tempo, on the other hand, refers to the speed or pace of the music, measured in beats per minute.

How do I determine the number of beats in a note?

The number of beats in a note is determined by its type. For example, a whole note has 4 beats, a half note has 2 beats, a quarter note has 1 beat, and so on. The type of note is indicated by the shape of its note head.

Why is calculating the length of notes important in music?

Calculating the length of notes is important because it helps musicians accurately read and play music. It also ensures that the music is played at the correct tempo, creating a cohesive and harmonious sound.

Is there a difference in calculating note length for different time signatures?

Yes, the formula for calculating note length may vary depending on the time signature. For example, in 4/4 time, a quarter note has 1 beat, but in 6/8 time, a quarter note has 2 beats. It is important to take the time signature into account when calculating note length.