Find two lowest frequencies standing wave

In summary, the problem involved finding the two lowest frequencies of a metal bar attached to a vice and hit with a hammer to create a longitudinal standing wave. The bar had a length of 3m and a wave velocity of 5100m/s. Using the wave equation v = λ*f, the first frequency was found to be 850 Hz. To find the second frequency, the boundary conditions were used, with antinodes at each end of the bar and a node always at the center. The resulting frequency was found to be 2550 Hz. The same concept applies to the guitar string, where the boundary conditions are only the nodes at the endpoints, but the second harmonic still requires a node in the middle. Resources such as
late347

Homework Statement

A metal bar is attached into a vice in the middle. Bar is hit with a hammer creating a longitudinal standing wave
find the two lowest frequencies.
Bar's length l= 3m
wave velocity = 5100m/s

Homework Equations

wave equation ## v = \lambda * f ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Our teacher told us that the way to solve these kind of problems is to correctly affix antinode and node points, and these will indeed be the fixed boundary conditions. Using those conditions we will determine the lowest frequency first, for example. The boundary conditions should not be violated when finding the frequencies I seem to remember.

There must be antinodes at each end of 3m bar. And there's the node at 1.5m always in the center.

using this knowledge, the distance between an antinode and another antinode is ## \lambda /2 ##

## \lambda / 2 = l ##
## \lambda = 6m##
## \frac{v}{\lambda} =f##
f= 850 Hz

The second lowest frequency.

My question is essentially, does there exist a more analytical way of finding these upper frequencies? Or is it simply just supposed to be done by attempting different solutions with intuition and finding the next frequency step by step.

I looked at this source and it only gave a formula for the case of the string in a musical instrument (starting with the boundary conditions of node at each endpoint) http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/sound/Lesson-4/Fundamental-Frequency-and-Harmonics

with some trial and error
Honestly I was a little bit confused about this second lowest frequency when doing this problem. I was initially confused about what is the valid "next" frequency and how it is suppsoed to be obtained.
For example, is this frequency supposed to have an affixed node also in the middle at about 1.5m of the metal bar, similar to the base frequency?

If this is true, why doesn't the other frequency example of a guitar string work in a similar fashion such that the guitar string has nodes at each end at the lowest frequency. But the guitar string also has the antinode in the center at this lowest frequency.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/sound/Lesson-4/Fundamental-Frequency-and-Harmonics
So why doesn't the guitar string have the antinode affixed in the center in the next frequency (second harmonic) ?

I put the next frequency (second lowest)
such that you keep the node at 1.5m and antinodes at the ends.
But you add a node and an antinode on both sides of the central node. So there's A-N-A-N-A-N-A

And using this kind of setup we have three times the length between antinodes

##3* \lambda/2 = l##
##\lambda = \frac{2l}{3}##
##\lambda=2m##
## f = \frac{v}{\lambda} => f = 2550 Hz ##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
late347 said:
There must be antinodes at each end of 3m bar. And there's the node at 1.5m always in the center.
Yes. The vice clamps the rod at the center which prevents the rod from vibrating longitudinally at that point. So, there must be a node at the center for all of the possible standing waves. That's why you still need to assume a node in the middle when you are calculating the second frequency.

Your calculations for both the first and second frequencies look correct.

If you went on to do the next frequency, I'm sure you would see the pattern so that you could state all of the possible frequencies.

TSny said:
Yes. The vice clamps the rod at the center which prevents the rod from vibrating longitudinally at that point. So, there must be a node at the center for all of the possible standing waves. That's why you still need to assume a node in the middle when you are calculating the second frequency.

Your calculations for both the first and second frequencies look correct.

If you went on to do the next frequency, I'm sure you would see the pattern so that you could state all of the possible frequencies.

For the guitar string case. The string is fixed at the ends, but when finding the 2nd harmonic from the base freq, you're still supposed to add the third node into the middle portion. And Then add correpondingly add another antinode.

But you're still saying that in the guitar string, it does seem indeed that the the buondary conditions are only really the nodes at the endpoints? This was a little bit confusing to find out exactly what must be followed, so that you know how many antinodes and nodes to add for the next frequency (I can usually get the basic case correct, the lowest frequency).

I'm not much of a musician, but I think youre supposed to put your finger on the guitar string to act as the central node in the 2nd harmonic frequency?!

Putting your finger on the guitar string helps to produce the second harmonic. But in principle, it is not necessary. If you have a rope that is stretched out and fixed at one end, and you hold the other end and wiggle it at the frequency of the 2nd harmonic, then you will set up the 2nd harmonic standing wave without needing any physical contact at the middle of the rope. The node in the middle will just naturally form.

Likes late347
TSny said:
Putting your finger on the guitar string helps to produce the second harmonic. But in principle, it is not necessary. If you have a rope that is stretched out and fixed at one end, and you hold the other end and wiggle it at the frequency of the 2nd harmonic, then you will set up the 2nd harmonic standing wave without needing any physical contact at the middle of the rope. The node in the middle will just naturally form.

yea standing waves are easier to visualize when they are transverse standing wave. Isn't it just the sum wave? But this one in our example was supposed to be longitudinal standing wave. Do you know or have any good studying materials for these, like an animation or something?

I just found this one
http://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/Demos/StandingWaves/StandingWaves.html

If you go down to the middle of the page you will see the animation of a particular longitudinal standing wave (not the fundamental). You can think of it as representing the left half of the clamped rod. So, you have an antinode on the left and a node on the right.

Likes late347

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other. This results in a stationary pattern of nodes (points of no displacement) and antinodes (points of maximum displacement).

2. How are standing waves created?

Standing waves are created when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude overlap and interfere with each other. This can happen when a wave reflects off of a fixed boundary or when two waves traveling in opposite directions meet.

3. What is the significance of finding the two lowest frequencies of a standing wave?

The two lowest frequencies of a standing wave are known as the fundamental frequency and the first harmonic. These frequencies are important because they determine the pitch of a musical note in a musical instrument. In addition, these frequencies can also indicate the size and shape of a vibrating object or medium.

4. How do you find the two lowest frequencies of a standing wave?

The two lowest frequencies of a standing wave can be found by determining the wavelength of the standing wave, which is equal to twice the length of the medium or vibrating object. Then, using the equation f = v/λ, where v is the speed of the wave and λ is the wavelength, the frequencies can be calculated.

5. What factors can affect the two lowest frequencies of a standing wave?

The two lowest frequencies of a standing wave can be affected by several factors, including the length of the medium or vibrating object, the tension of the medium, and the speed of the wave. In addition, the presence of boundaries or other objects in the medium can also affect the frequencies of the standing wave.