Expectation Values of Spin Operators

In summary: , those are different things. a matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, while an integrand is a function that takes a matrix as input.
Rahmuss
[SOLVED] Expectation Values of Spin Operators

Homework Statement

b) Find the expectation values of [tex]S_{x}, S_{y}, and S_{z}[/tex]

Homework Equations

From part a)
[tex]X = A \begin{pmatrix}3i \\ 4 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Which was found to be: [tex]A = \frac{1}{5}[/tex]

[tex]S_{x} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]S_{y} = \begin{pmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]S_{z} = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have it setup as:

[tex]\left\langle S_{x}\right\rangle = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*}S_{x}X \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*} \frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar}{2}\begin{pmatrix}\frac{-3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix} \frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\left[\frac{-12i}{25} + \frac{12i}{25} \right] \Rightarrow 0[/tex]

[tex]\left\langle S_{y}\right\rangle = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*}S_{y}X \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*} \frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}0 & -i \\ i & 0 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{-3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{4i}{5} \\ \frac{-3}{5} \end{pmatrix} \frac{\hbar}{2} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\left[\frac{12i}{25} - \frac{12i}{25} \right] \Rightarrow 0[/tex]

[tex]\left\langle S_{z}\right\rangle = \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*}S_{z}X \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}X^{*} \frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix}\Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar}{2} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{-3i}{5} \\ \frac{4}{5} \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}\frac{3i}{5} \\ \frac{-4}{5} \end{pmatrix} \frac{\hbar}{2} \Rightarrow[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\left[\frac{9}{25} - \frac{16}{25} \right] \Rightarrow \frac{-7\hbar^{2}}{100}[/tex]

The first two seem like they're fine; but the last one doesn't seem right. Now if it was:

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}\frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}\left[\frac{9}{25} + \frac{16}{25} \right] \Rightarrow \frac{\hbar^{2}}{4}[/tex]

Then that would at least seem to be in the right direction. So what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get your second factor of [itex]\hbar /2[/itex] from? Also, you need to throw away the integrals and write the bra as a row vector (not a column vector).

Oh, you're right, it's just [tex]S_{x}[/tex], not [tex]S_{x}^{2}[/tex]. Thanks. And I'll change the vectors (on my homework); but is the rest correct then?

Yes, but there are no integrals involved when you use matrices.

how is the wave function defined?
also don't confuse with matrices and integrals

1. What are expectation values of spin operators?

Expectation values of spin operators refer to the average values of spin measurements that are predicted by quantum mechanics. They are used to describe the properties and behavior of quantum systems, specifically those involving particles with spin, such as electrons.

2. How are expectation values of spin operators calculated?

The expectation value of a spin operator is calculated by taking the inner product of the quantum state with the operator applied to that state. This is then multiplied by the complex conjugate of the inner product, and the result is the expectation value.

3. What is the physical significance of expectation values of spin operators?

The expectation values of spin operators represent the most probable outcomes of spin measurements. They provide information about the orientation and magnitude of the spin of a particle and can be used to make predictions about its behavior in various experiments.

4. How do expectation values of spin operators relate to uncertainty in measurements?

According to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. Similarly, the expectation values of spin operators can provide information about the spin of a particle, but they cannot determine the exact spin orientation or magnitude. The uncertainty in spin measurements is related to the spread of possible expectation values.

5. Can the expectation values of spin operators change over time?

Yes, the expectation values of spin operators can change over time. This is because the quantum state of a particle can evolve over time, leading to different expectation values for spin measurements. This evolution is described by the Schrödinger equation, which takes into account the Hamiltonian of the system and the initial quantum state.