How Can a Toroid Approximate a Solenoid in Limiting Conditions?

• Thread starter Chris W
  • Start date
In summary, Chris W is trying to find a way to solve a problem with a toroid and solenoid. He has a solution for the toroid, but doesn't know how to get from the solution to the solenoid using limits or another technique.
Chris W
Hi everyone.
I need help please.
I am working on problems with solenoids and Toroids
I have solution for the solenoid:
B = μo i n

And toroid:
B = (μ o i n)/ (2Π r)
Also, I know that the magnetic field is the function of r namely: B = B(r)

r- radius of the Ampere’s path
n – number of loops per unit length
i-Current
μo – constant

My problem is:
Using the solution for the toroid, show that for the large toroid the answer can be approximated as the solenoid on the very small piece of the toroid.
I know that I have to play with limits. Something like:
a - inner radius of the toroid,
b – outer radius of the toroid,
∆a - the difference between radius a and radius b.
I think I have to take a limit when ∆a goes to 0 and in this way radius a will approach radius b. in this way the solution for the toroid SHOULD be the solution for the solenoid (on the small length L of course)
I don’t know how to set it up. How to get from the toroid solution to the solenoid solution using limits or (other technique)

Thanks for help
Chris W

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone please help me here... thanks
Chris W

Hi Chris W,

Your toroid magnetic field equation is not quite right. It should be:

[tex]
B = \frac{\mu_0 i N }{2\pi r}
[/tex]

where N is the total number of turns (not turns per length). Notice that [itex]N/(2 \pi r)[/itex] is in a way similar to the n in the solenoid formula; but what is the difference? If you then think about your limiting process that should help you get the result.

Thanks Guys. I love this forum
!
Chris W

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a long, cylindrical coil of wire that is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it. It is commonly used in electromechanical devices such as motors, valves, and relays.

2. How does a solenoid work?

When an electric current flows through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field that can attract or repel objects made of magnetic materials. The strength of the magnetic field is determined by the number of turns in the wire coil and the amount of current flowing through it.

3. What is the difference between a solenoid and a toroid?

A solenoid is a cylindrical coil of wire, while a toroid is a doughnut-shaped coil of wire. The main difference between the two is the shape of the magnetic field they produce. A solenoid produces a linear field, while a toroid produces a circular field.

4. What are some applications of solenoids and toroids?

Solenoids and toroids have a wide range of applications, including in electric motors, generators, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines, speakers, and particle accelerators. They are also used in everyday objects such as doorbells, locks, and washing machines.

5. How can I calculate the strength of a solenoid or toroid's magnetic field?

The strength of a solenoid or toroid's magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = μ0 * (N/L) * I, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, L is the length of the coil, and I is the current flowing through the coil. However, the actual strength of the magnetic field may vary due to factors such as the shape and material of the core, and the distance from the coil.