Finding current of circular (toroidal) solenoid

Grandpa04
Homework Statement
A circular solenoid has a magnetic field of 1.4 T. The solenoid has 900 turns, a radius of 2 cm, and a length of 70 cm. What is the current running through the solenoid.
Relevant Equations
B = µ*N*I/2πr
I assumed that the radius is referring to a major R like in the image below.
selenoid1.png

I plugged all the values (except for length) into the equation B = µ*N*I/2πr to get 155.6 A for the current value. I am unsure if this is the correct value or if radius refers to minor r of solenoid, in which case a different equation is used.

mimxrtor.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does it say that it has a toroidal shape?

nasu said:
Where does it say that it has a toroidal shape?
Yes, "circular" is ambiguous. Could mean toroidal or cylindrical.
A "length" of 70cm and 900 turns gives less than 1mm per turn, so the length must be along the axis, not the length of wire. If toroidal, that implies a major radius of 70cm/(2π).

The expression "circular solenoid" is not uncommon for a cylindrical one. It refers to the cross-section. The radius is not useful unless there is a question about the flux.

nasu said:
The expression "circular solenoid" is not uncommon for a cylindrical one. It refers to the cross-section. The radius is not useful unless there is a question about the flux.
Useful to know, thanks.

1. How do you find the current of a circular (toroidal) solenoid?

To find the current of a circular solenoid, you can use the formula I = N * A * B / R, where I is the current, N is the number of turns in the solenoid, A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid, B is the magnetic field strength, and R is the resistance of the solenoid.

2. What is the relationship between the magnetic field and the current in a toroidal solenoid?

The magnetic field inside a toroidal solenoid is directly proportional to the current passing through the solenoid. This relationship is described by Ampere's law, which states that the magnetic field is equal to the permeability of the material times the current divided by 2π times the radius of the solenoid.

3. How does the number of turns in a solenoid affect the current?

The number of turns in a solenoid is directly proportional to the current passing through the solenoid. This means that increasing the number of turns will result in a higher current, while decreasing the number of turns will result in a lower current.

4. What factors affect the resistance of a toroidal solenoid?

The resistance of a toroidal solenoid is affected by several factors, including the material of the solenoid, the length of the wire, the cross-sectional area of the wire, and the temperature of the solenoid. Generally, using a material with higher conductivity and a shorter wire length will result in lower resistance.

5. How can you measure the current in a circular solenoid?

The current in a circular solenoid can be measured using an ammeter. Simply connect the ammeter in series with the solenoid, and it will display the current passing through the solenoid in amperes.