Solving Non-Linear ODE's in Mathematica

• Thread starter robousy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Non-linear
In summary, the conversation is about solving non-linear ODE's numerically, using mathematica. The equations involved are 3H_a^2+3H_aH_b=K_1, \dot{H}_a+3H_a^2+H_aH_b=K_2, and \dot{H}_b+3H_a^2+3H_aH_b=K_3, where H_a and H_b are functions of time and the K's are constants. The conversation suggests using familiar algebra symbols and simplifying the equations to make them easier to solve. It is also mentioned that numerical solutions may not be necessary.
robousy
Hey folks,

Does anyone have any experience with how to solve non-linear ODE's numerically, perhaps in mathematica??

I am trying to solve the following equations:

[tex]
3H_a^2+3H_aH_b=K_1
[/tex]
[tex]
\dot{H}_a+3H_a^2+H_aH_b=K_2
[/tex]
[tex]
\dot{H}_b+3H_a^2+3H_aH_b=K_3
[/tex]

Where [tex]H_a[/tex] and [tex]H_b[/tex] are both functions of time and the K's are just constants.

Any help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it would be a lot easier to read if you had used the familiar general x,y algebra symbols instead of Ha, Hb.

So this reduces to:
[tex]3x^2 + 3xy = K_1[/tex]
[tex]x' + 3x^2 + xy = K_2[/tex]
[tex]y' + 3x^2 + 3xy = K_3[/tex]

You can express xy in the first equation in terms of x and substitute it into the second equation and then you can simply separate the variables before integrating directly.

Once you have x(t), just substitute it into the 3rd equation. You should be able to find an integrating factor now. I don't think there's a need for numerical solutions.

Last edited:
You are right, I should have simplified it into more recognizable variables. I think this is a lot easier than I first though, thanks for pointing that our Defennder!

1. What is a non-linear ODE?

A non-linear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that involves both the independent variable (usually denoted as t) and its derivatives (usually denoted as y'). Unlike linear ODEs, which can be solved using basic algebraic methods, non-linear ODEs require more advanced techniques to find a solution.

2. Why is solving non-linear ODEs important?

Non-linear ODEs are used to model a wide range of real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and physical processes. By solving these equations, scientists and engineers can gain a better understanding of these systems and make predictions about their behavior.

3. How can Mathematica help solve non-linear ODEs?

Mathematica is a powerful computational software program that has built-in functions specifically designed for solving differential equations. It uses numerical methods to approximate the solution to a non-linear ODE and can handle a wide range of initial conditions and boundary conditions.

4. What are the steps for solving a non-linear ODE in Mathematica?

The general steps for solving a non-linear ODE in Mathematica include defining the equation, specifying the initial conditions, using the built-in function DSolve to obtain a symbolic solution, and then using the built-in function NDSolve to obtain a numerical approximation. Additional steps may be necessary depending on the complexity of the equation and the desired level of accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to solving non-linear ODEs in Mathematica?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for solving non-linear ODEs, it does have some limitations. It may not be able to find a symbolic solution for very complex equations, and the numerical approximations may not be accurate in certain cases. It is important to carefully check the results and make adjustments as needed.