Calculating Force and Torque on Electric Motor Coil

In summary, the conversation is about determining the maximum force and torque on a square coil with 20 turns and an area of 150cm^2 in a uniform magnetic field of 300mT with a DC current of 5.00A passing through it. The participant attempted to use the formula (150/4) = 37.5 (37.5/5) = 7.5cm to find the length of each turn, but was corrected that there are actually 20 loops and that the formula was incorrect. The participant was advised to start by writing out the correct formula.
gaimesh

Homework Statement

An electric motor has a square coil with 20 turns and an area of 150cm^2. the coil is free to rorate in uniform magnetic field of 300mT. If there is a DC current of 5.00A, passing through the coil: what is the maximum force on one side of the coil? and what is the maximum torque on the coil?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

well i realized that there are 5 loops of this coil, i also figured that each turn is 7.5cm long. (150/4) = 37.5 (37.5/5) = 7.5cm, and I am not sure where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi gaimesh! welcome to pf! :smile:
gaimesh said:
An electric motor has a square coil with 20 turns and an area of 150cm^2. the coil is free to rorate in uniform magnetic field of 300mT. If there is a DC current of 5.00A, passing through the coil: what is the maximum force on one side of the coil? and what is the maximum torque on the coil?

well i realized that there are 5 loops of this coil, i also figured that each turn is 7.5cm long. (150/4) = 37.5 (37.5/5) = 7.5cm, and I am not sure where to go from here.

uhh? there are 20 loops … and you can't divide an area by 4 to get a length! :rolleyes:

try again, and start by writing out the formula you wish to use :smile:

1. How do you calculate the force on an electric motor coil?

The force on an electric motor coil can be calculated by multiplying the current running through the coil by the length of the coil and the strength of the magnetic field. This can be represented by the formula F = I x L x B, where I is the current, L is the length of the coil, and B is the magnetic field strength.

2. What factors affect the force on an electric motor coil?

The force on an electric motor coil is affected by the amount of current running through the coil, the length of the coil, and the strength of the magnetic field. Other factors that can affect the force include the material and shape of the coil, the number of turns in the coil, and the speed at which the coil is rotating.

3. How do you calculate the torque on an electric motor coil?

The torque on an electric motor coil can be calculated by multiplying the force on the coil by the distance between the coil and the axis of rotation. This can be represented by the formula τ = F x d, where F is the force and d is the distance from the axis of rotation.

4. What is the relationship between force, torque, and power in an electric motor coil?

The force, torque, and power in an electric motor coil are all related through the equation P = τ x ω, where P is power, τ is torque, and ω is the angular velocity of the coil. This means that increasing the force or torque on the coil will result in an increase in power output.

5. How can you optimize the force and torque on an electric motor coil?

To optimize the force and torque on an electric motor coil, you can adjust the length and number of turns in the coil, increase the strength of the magnetic field, and adjust the speed and direction of rotation. Additionally, using materials with high magnetic permeability can also help to increase the force and torque on the coil.