Force in a magnetic field on a moving coil

In summary, a square coil of length L is released from rest in a horizontal uniform magnetic field of length 2L going into the plane of paper. The coil's acceleration is equal to g when inside the magnetic field and less than g before going in and after coming out of the magnetic field, as the changing flux through the coil induces a current that opposes the movement causing the change of flux. The current flows throughout the whole coil and is determined by the change in total flux through the coil. The flux increases as the coil enters the field, remains constant inside, and decreases as the coil leaves the field.
subhradeep mahata

Homework Statement

upload_2018-12-14_15-3-7.png

A square coil (sorry, its not "current carrying" as shown in diagram, my mistake) of length L is released from rest, in a horizontal uniform magnetic field going into the plane of paper, of length 2L. What can you say about the coil's acceleration?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that there is no friction involved. I also know that no force is exerted by a uniform magnetic field on a moving coil. So, my answer is that it remains equal to g all the time.
But the correct answer given is "equal to g when inside the magnetic field and less than g before going in and after coming out of the magnetic field. Can you explain me the reason behind it?

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-14_15-3-7.png
    upload_2018-12-14_15-3-7.png
    24 KB · Views: 792
Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the amount of magnetic flux through the coil at each position as it falls.
Is the flux changing?
Will a current be induced?
What effect will this have on the coil's motion?
inducedcurrent.png

Attachments

• inducedcurrent.png
    inducedcurrent.png
    15 KB · Views: 527
Likes subhradeep mahata
@Merlin3189 That's a really good point you figured out. I will put forward my thoughts in accordance with the cases you provided.
1) nothing
2)nothing
3) Flux will change, as the coil is just entering the field region. Due to this, a current(due to motional emf) will be set up, in the anticlockwise current according to Lenz's law.
4) Flux is not changing, so no current
5) same as (4), no current induced
6) Flux changes, current induced in clockwise direction.
7-8) nothing
Now, I am not really sure how current induced/not induced will affect its motion.

@Merlin3189 I also found out this:
just as the coil is entering the field region(case 3), the coil will experience a force due to magnetic field upwards (since current is anticlockwise). Also, as it is just leaving the field, it experiences a force upwards the current being clockwise. So, i guess that's the reason for it.
Just one extra question: as in case 3, only a part of the coil is inside the field, the rest of the coil is outside. So, is the current really going to flow throughout the coil?

subhradeep mahata said:
@Merlin3189 I also found out this:
just as the coil is entering the field region(case 3), the coil will experience a force due to magnetic field upwards (since current is anticlockwise). Also, as it is just leaving the field, it experiences a force upwards the current being clockwise. So, i guess that's the reason for it.
Yes. But you don't even need to go that far into the details. Lenz says that the induced current will oppose the change of flux, so the force caused by this current will oppose the movement causing the change of flux.
Just one extra question: as in case 3, only a part of the coil is inside the field, the rest of the coil is outside. So, is the current really going to flow throughout the coil?
The only place the current can flow is round the whole coil. The emf and induced current is determined by the change in total flux through the coil.
A certain flux through half the coil is the same as half the flux through the whole coil.
As the coil enters the field, it goes from no flux in the coil outside to the uniform field through the whole coil inside. Between these two points the flux is increasing. Once inside, the flux remains constant until the coil starts to leave the area of uniform field.

Likes subhradeep mahata
Okay, got it. Thanks.

1. What is the definition of "force in a magnetic field on a moving coil"?

The force in a magnetic field on a moving coil refers to the force exerted on a coil of wire that is moving through a magnetic field. This force is generated due to the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current flowing through the coil, and is known as the Lorentz force.

2. How is the direction of the force determined in a magnetic field on a moving coil?

The direction of the force in a magnetic field on a moving coil is determined by the right-hand rule. If the thumb of your right hand points in the direction of the current flowing through the coil, and the fingers curl in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm will face in the direction of the force.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the force in a magnetic field on a moving coil?

The magnitude of the force in a magnetic field on a moving coil is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current flowing through the coil, and the length of the coil in the direction of motion. Additionally, the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of motion also affects the magnitude of the force.

4. How is the force in a magnetic field on a moving coil used in practical applications?

The force in a magnetic field on a moving coil is used in many practical applications, such as in electric motors and generators. It allows for the conversion of electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa. It is also used in devices like speakers and headphones to produce sound through the interaction between current-carrying coils and permanent magnets.

5. How can the force in a magnetic field on a moving coil be increased?

The force in a magnetic field on a moving coil can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field, increasing the current flowing through the coil, or increasing the length of the coil in the direction of motion. Additionally, using multiple coils in a system can also increase the overall force generated.