Solving Difference Equation Involving Complex Numbers

In summary, this problem involves solving a difference equation for a polynomial whose roots are complex numbers. The equation is set equal to zero when n >= M. However, by solving for p and showing that p^n is a solution, it is easy to show that the coefficients ai are what the problem says they are.
Divisionbyzer0
This is not quite a homework question, but I hope close enough that it can be posted here. I'm going through a signal processing book on my free time, doing all the problems and so on, and I've come across a problem which I'm not too sure about how to solve. Here it is--

Consider the sequence:

h: Z -> C (integers to complex)

h(n) = [C1*(p1^n) + C2*(p2^n) + . . . + CM*(pM^n)]u(n) (0),

where u(n) = 1 for n >= 0, 0 else.

without using Z transforms, show that h(n) satisfies the difference equation for n >= M:

h(n) + a1*h(n-1) + a2*h(n-2) + . . . + aM*h(n-M) = 0 (1),

where {1,a1,a2,...,aM} are the coefficients of the polynomial whose roots are (complex) numbers {p1,p2,...,pM}, that is,

1 + a1*(z^-1) + a2*(z^-2) + ... + aM*(z^-M) =

(1-p1*(z^-1))*(1-p2*(z^-2))*...*(1-pM*(z^-M))

Note: the Ci are arbitrary and the restriction n >= M is necessary.

By the substitution of (0) into (1) one gets an equation in ai,Ci,pi, but I don't quite see how to show that the coefficients ai are what the problem says they are. I'm thinking about matrix multiplication, determinants and characteristic polynomials but my memory of that stuff is fading and I sold back all my college books which talk specifically about those. Do any of you have any ideas, or know how to do this type of problem? Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't really have to manually substitute all of (0) into (1) al at once. Note that (1) is a homogenous difference equation, i.e. it is set equal to zero. Thus, sort of like a homogenous differential equation, any g(n) that is a solution, so would any C*g(n). And if f(n) and g(n) are solutions, then any C1*f(n) + C2*g(n) is also a solution. So if you can first just let p be any root of the polynomial, and show p^n is a solution to (1) from there you can easily show that show that (0) is the general solution.

Ok, that makes some sense.

I've worked out explicitely the cases for M = 2, M = 3-- the restriction for n >= M now makes intuitive sense. The full difference equation for all n is inhomogeneous with M shifted unit delta terms as well. For example, for M = 3, the eqn is inhomogeneous with b0*delta(n)+b1*delta(n-1) + b2*delta(n-2) showing up on the right... these terms will vanish and the equation will be homogeneous when n >= 3.

1. What is a difference equation involving complex numbers?

A difference equation involving complex numbers is an equation that relates a function to its past values through a finite number of differences. This means that the current value of the function can be found by using its previous values and applying a certain difference operator.

2. How do you solve a difference equation involving complex numbers?

To solve a difference equation involving complex numbers, you first need to find the roots of the characteristic equation. Then, you can use these roots to find the general solution of the difference equation. Finally, you can use initial conditions to determine the specific solution for the given equation.

3. What is the characteristic equation in a difference equation involving complex numbers?

The characteristic equation in a difference equation involving complex numbers is a polynomial equation that is formed by using the coefficients of the difference equation. The roots of this equation correspond to the roots of the general solution of the difference equation.

4. Can complex numbers be used in difference equations?

Yes, complex numbers can be used in difference equations. In fact, using complex numbers in difference equations can provide more accurate solutions in certain cases, especially when the function being modeled is a complex valued signal or system.

5. Are there any applications of solving difference equations involving complex numbers?

Yes, there are many applications of solving difference equations involving complex numbers. Some common applications include modeling and analyzing complex systems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are also used in signal processing, digital filters, and control systems.