What is the relationship between even and odd signals?

In summary: If someone asks you to prove xe(t) = 1/2[x(t)+x(-t)] you would use the definition of an even function xe(t) = xe(-t), but recall that xe(t) = 1/2[x(t) + x(-t)], so what would xe(-t) be? xe(-t) would be 1/2x(t)+1/2x(-t), or 1.
dervast
Hi i am stuck with something really simple :(
I know that we can express a signal with the even and odd signal
x(t)=xe(t)+xo(t)
(xe(t) means even signal and xo(t) means odd signal)

x(-t)=x(t) for even signals and (1)
x(-t)=-x(t) for odd signals (2)

where even signal is
xe(t)=1/2[x(t)+x(-t)] (3) and the odd one is
xo(t)=1/2[x(t)-x(-t)] (4)
i can validate that x(t)=xe(t)+xo(t) if i use equations 3 and 4
x(t)=1/2[x(t)+x(-t)]+1/2[x(t)-x(-t)]= 1/2x(t)+1/2x(t)+1/2x(-t)-1/2x(-t)= x(t) done

My problem arise when i try to use (1)+(2) to (3)+(4) to prove what i want
using (1) to (3) we have xe(t)=1/2[x(t)+x(t)] =2/2x(t)
using (2) to (4) we have xo(t)=1/2[x(t)-(-x(t))] =2/2x(t) and that means that i have proved that x(t)=4x(t)

P.S Plz tell me where i am wrond and correct my bad english mathematical phrases

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why would you consider equations 1 and 2 at all? A generic function x(t) will not have those properties always. The only function for which both of those equations can be true is x(t) = 0, which is consistent with your result x(t) = 4x(t).

I can't understand what u are saying me . Plz try to clarify where i am wrong.
Thx a lot

Ok here is what makes your thinking wrong: You try to use x(-t) = x(t) and x(-t) = -x(t), two VERY SPECIFIC conditions, to show something for any x(t) which could have any sort of shape. What you meant to use for equations 1 and 2 was:

xe(-t) = xe(t) (1)
xo(-t) = -xo(t) (2)

If you assume equations 1 and 2 are true then you are implying x(t) = 0 for all t

I hope I made myself more understandable.

Yes thanks a lot i have clearly understand my wrong. But if someone ask me to prove that
xe(t)=1/2[x(t)+x(-t)] how shouldi think to prove that?

I would use the definition of an even function xe(t) = xe(-t), but recall that xe(t) = 1/2[x(t) + x(-t)], so what would xe(-t) be?

1. What is the difference between even and odd signals?

Even and odd signals are two types of signals that are used to represent different types of functions. The main difference between them is their symmetry. An even signal is symmetrical about the y-axis, meaning that if you mirror one half of the signal onto the other half, you will get the same exact signal. On the other hand, an odd signal is symmetrical about the origin, meaning that if you rotate the signal 180 degrees around the origin, it will still look the same.

2. How are even and odd signals used in signal processing?

Even and odd signals are used in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals. These signals have unique properties that make them useful for different tasks. For example, even signals are used to represent functions that are symmetric about the y-axis, such as cosine waves, while odd signals are used to represent functions that are anti-symmetric about the origin, such as sine waves.

3. What types of signals can be classified as even or odd?

Any signal that exhibits the properties of symmetry or anti-symmetry can be classified as even or odd. This includes periodic signals, such as sine and cosine waves, as well as non-periodic signals, such as square and sawtooth waves. It is important to note that a signal can only be classified as even or odd if it satisfies the mathematical criteria for symmetry or anti-symmetry.

4. How are even and odd signals represented mathematically?

Even signals are represented as f(x) = f(-x), meaning that the value of the function at a given point is equal to the value of the function at the negative of that point. Odd signals, on the other hand, are represented as f(x) = -f(-x), meaning that the value of the function at a given point is equal to the negative of the value of the function at the negative of that point.

5. Why are even and odd signals important in signal processing?

Even and odd signals are important in signal processing because they can be used to simplify complex signals and make them easier to analyze. By decomposing a signal into its even and odd components, it is possible to isolate certain characteristics of the signal and manipulate them separately. This makes it easier to understand and work with different types of signals, which is essential in many areas of science and engineering.