Signals and Systems: Determine the convolution of x(t) and h(t)

SumDood_
Homework Statement
Determine the convolution of x(t) and h(t)
Relevant Equations
Specified in the solution attempt
So, the convolution of two signals is described as follows:
$$ \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x(\tau)h(t-\tau) \, d\tau $$
The figure shows the given signals. Now, as described in the convolution integral, I transformed ##h(t)## to ##h(-\tau)## by flipping the signal horizontally. So, now I have an impulse signal when ##\tau = -2##.

Now, the ##t## represents a horizontal shift in signal ##h(t-\tau)##. After which both signals are multiplied and then integrated. When, ##t<1##, then there is no overlap between ##h(\tau)## and ##x(\tau)##. The same is true when ##t>5##.
Now, I need to determine what the limits of the integration would be when there is an overlap between the two signals. If ##h(\tau)## were a rectangular signal, then it would be straightforward.
1691869231971.png

The impulse signal means the only overlap between the two signals exist at the exact point to where the impulse is shifted. Because of this, I don't know how to find the limits to evaluate the convolution integration. From what I have read online, I see that the output signal ##y(t)## is probably a horizontal shifted signal of ##x(t)## by 2 units to the right.

I can't seem to get the answer because I don't know what the limits of the integration are supposed to be. I thought the upper limit and the lower limit would be equal, but then the integration would evaluate to 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
The limits are always from ##-\infty## to ##\infty##. It is not not very important for this example because ##h(t)## is only nonzero at one point. You do not need to consider the limits to evaluate the integral. You should look at where that point is involved in the convolution integral. That convolution is a function of ##t##.

Likes SumDood_
FactChecker said:
The limits are always from ##-\infty## to ##\infty##. It is not not very important for this example because ##h(t)## is only nonzero at one point. You do not need to consider the limits to evaluate the integral. You should look at where that point is involved in the convolution integral. That convolution is a function of ##t##.
Makes sense now.
Thanks!

Likes berkeman

1. What is the definition of convolution in signals and systems?

Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two signals to produce a third signal, which represents the overall effect of the first two signals on each other. It is commonly used in signal processing to analyze the output of a system when given an input signal.

2. How is the convolution of two signals calculated?

The convolution of two signals, x(t) and h(t), is calculated by multiplying the two signals together, shifting one of them by a certain amount, and then integrating the product over the range of the shifted signal. This process is repeated for all possible shifts of the two signals, and the resulting values are summed to produce the convolution output.

3. What is the importance of convolution in signal processing?

Convolution is an essential operation in signal processing as it allows us to analyze the behavior of a system when given a specific input. It helps us understand how a system responds to different inputs and can also be used to filter, deconvolve, and analyze signals in various applications such as communication systems, image processing, and audio processing.

4. Can the convolution of two signals be represented mathematically?

Yes, the convolution of two signals, x(t) and h(t), can be represented mathematically as x(t) * h(t), where * denotes the convolution operation. This notation is commonly used in mathematical equations and signal processing literature.

5. How is the convolution of two signals related to the frequency domain?

In the frequency domain, the convolution of two signals is equivalent to the multiplication of their respective Fourier transforms. This property is known as the convolution theorem and is often used to simplify the computation of convolutions in signal processing applications.