Can Einstein's Equations be Applied to a Closed Universe?

In summary, when deriving the Einstein's equations using the Hilbert action, the Ricci term is often dropped after applying total differentials and Stokes' theorem. This is based on the assumption of zero boundary conditions at infinity, but in a closed universe there is no boundary and therefore no zero field. However, keeping the term in the action would result in complicated field equations due to the requirement of smoothly patching different coordinate charts together.
m4r35n357
I've been starting to look at the Hilbert action derivation of Einstein's equations, and have an introductory question.

When the Lagrangian is excpanded into three integrals (for variation of metric determinant, metric and Ricci Tensor), the Ricci term is always dropped after a discussion of total differentials, Stokes' theorem etc. that I can't quite follow precisely yet! Part of the justification seems to be an assumption of zero boundary conditions at infinity, but as I understand it in a closed universe there is no boundary and no zero field (if I've been following the arguments). As an example, see discussion of equation 4.61 in Carroll

So, my question is, can this term really be dropped for a closed universe. I imagine the field equations would be horrendous with the extra terms retained in the action.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a closed universe you will have the requirement of patching different coordinate charts together smoothly resulting in the total derivative term giving you at most a topological number. (Compare with periodic boundary conditions in one dimension.) The variation of this will still be zero.

1. Can Einstein's equations be applied to a closed universe?

Yes, Einstein's equations can be applied to a closed universe. These equations are part of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity works in the universe. The equations can be used to calculate the curvature of space-time and how it is affected by matter and energy, including in a closed universe.

2. What is a closed universe?

A closed universe is a theoretical concept in which the universe is finite in size and has a closed shape, such as a sphere. This means that if you travel in one direction for long enough, you will eventually return to your starting point.

3. How do Einstein's equations apply to a closed universe?

Einstein's equations describe how matter and energy warp space-time, and this applies to a closed universe as well. The equations can be used to calculate the curvature of space-time in a closed universe and how it is affected by the distribution of matter and energy within it.

4. Can Einstein's equations explain the expansion of a closed universe?

Yes, Einstein's equations can explain the expansion of a closed universe. The equations predict that the universe is either expanding or contracting, and this can be applied to a closed universe as well. The curvature of space-time can affect the rate of expansion, and the equations can be used to calculate this effect.

5. Are there other theories that can be applied to a closed universe?

Yes, there are other theories that can be applied to a closed universe, such as the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker (FLRW) model. This model is based on the theory of general relativity and describes the evolution of a homogeneous and isotropic universe, including a closed universe. However, Einstein's equations are still commonly used in conjunction with the FLRW model to explain the behavior of a closed universe.