Deriving vacuum FRW equations directly from action

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Einstein-Hilbert action to derive the equations of motion for a universe with only a cosmological constant. The FRW metric is substituted into the action, and the resulting Euler-Lagrange equation gives equation (2). The usual approach is to derive the Einstein Field Equation and solve it with appropriate assumptions and coordinate choices, resulting in different values of ##k## for a universe with just a cosmological constant.
jcap
Using the Einstein-Hilbert action for a Universe with just the cosmological constant ##\Lambda##:
$$S=\int\Big[\frac{R}{2}-\Lambda\Big]\sqrt{-g}\ d^4x$$
I would like to derive the equations of motion:
$$\Big(\frac{\dot a}{a}\Big)^2+\frac{k}{a^2}=\frac{\Lambda}{3}\tag{1}$$
$$2\frac{\ddot a}{a}+\Big(\frac{\dot a}{a}\Big)^2+\frac{k}{a^2}=\Lambda\tag{2}$$
I use the FRW metric to substitute in
$$R=\frac{6}{a^2}(a\ddot a+\dot a^2+k)$$
and
$$\sqrt{-g} \propto a^3$$
I then have the following Euler-Lagrange equation for derivatives of ##a(t)##:
$$\frac{\partial L}{\partial a}-\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot a}+\frac{d^2}{dt^2}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \ddot a}=0$$
This gives me equation (2).

How would I get equation (1) using this approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
jcap said:
I use the FRW metric to substitute in

This is backwards from the usual approach. The usual approach is to derive the Einstein Field Equation in general form as the Euler-Lagrange equation for the action you gave; this can be done without making any assumption at all regarding the metric.

Once you have the Einstein Field Equation, you then just solve it with appropriate assumptions for the symmetries of the spacetime and a corresponding choice of coordinates.

Note that, for a universe with just a cosmological constant, the general solution is de Sitter spacetime, for which different coordinate choices will give you different values of ##k##.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the significance of deriving vacuum FRW equations directly from action?

Deriving vacuum FRW equations directly from action is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of the universe. By starting from the action, we can derive the equations of motion that describe the evolution of the universe without making any assumptions about the underlying physics.

2. How is the action related to the FRW equations?

The action is a mathematical quantity that describes the dynamics of a physical system. In the case of the universe, the action is related to the FRW equations through a process called the principle of least action. This principle states that the true path of a physical system is the one that minimizes the action.

3. What are the main steps involved in deriving vacuum FRW equations directly from action?

The main steps involved in deriving vacuum FRW equations directly from action include defining the action for the universe, varying the action with respect to the metric tensor, and solving the resulting equations of motion. This process involves complex mathematical calculations and requires a deep understanding of theoretical physics.

4. What are the assumptions made when deriving vacuum FRW equations directly from action?

When deriving vacuum FRW equations directly from action, we make the assumption that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales. This means that the universe looks the same in all directions and at all points in space. Additionally, we assume that there is no matter or energy present, hence the term "vacuum" in the equations.

5. What are the implications of the vacuum FRW equations derived directly from action?

The vacuum FRW equations derived directly from action have many implications for our understanding of the universe. They provide a framework for studying the evolution of the universe, including its expansion and the formation of structures like galaxies and clusters. They also allow us to make predictions about the future of the universe, such as its ultimate fate and the possibility of a "big crunch" or "big rip".