Degrees of freedom and conversion of a system of O.D.E.'s into 1 O.D.E.

In summary, the conversion from higher-order equations to lower-order equations is only possible when the dimension of the system is even and the equations satisfy certain energy conservation requirements.
alk
I am wrighting a short introduction to dynamical systems, and I can't seem to understand when are we allowed to talk about the "degrees of freedom" of a dynamical system.

A system of one degree of freedom can be described by a 2nd order ordinary differential equation of the form

[itex]\ddot{x}[/itex]=f(x,t)______(1) (mechanics [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] Newton's 2nd law)

and this equation can be converted into a system of two O.D.E.'s of the form

[itex]\dot{x}_{1}[/itex]=[itex]x_{2}[/itex]__________(2a)
[itex]\dot{x}_{2}[/itex]=f([itex]x_{1}[/itex],t)_______(2b)

I'm thinking that if and when this conversion is invertible, then starting from eq's (2) as the description of a dynamical system of 2 dimensions, one can say that this dynamical system has one degree of freedom.

The trouble is that I don't know if I'm correct, and I can't find the theorem (if there exists one) that states the conditions under which the conversion of a system of O.D.E.'s into one (or even more) O.D.E. of higher order (lets say 2nd), is possible.

More specifically, Langrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics implies that the dimension of a dynamical system should be an even number. Am I right to think that this may be one of the conditions?

Thanks in advance, alk

Physics news on Phys.org
is. Yes, you are correct to think that the dimension of a dynamical system should be an even number in order for the conversion from higher-order equations to lower-order equations to be possible. This is because of the fact that for every degree of freedom (DOF) in a system, two equations are required (one for the position and one for the velocity). Thus, if a dynamical system is composed of n DOFs, then there must be 2n equations in the system in order to describe it completely. In addition, if the system can be expressed in terms of Lagrangian or Hamiltonian mechanics, then these equations must also satisfy certain energy conservation requirements.

1. What are degrees of freedom in a system of O.D.E.'s?

Degrees of freedom refer to the number of independent variables needed to fully describe the state of a dynamical system. In the context of O.D.E.'s, it refers to the number of initial conditions needed to solve the system.

2. How are degrees of freedom related to the number of equations in a system of O.D.E.'s?

For a system of O.D.E.'s, the number of equations must be equal to the number of degrees of freedom. This is because each equation represents one constraint on the state of the system, and the number of constraints must be equal to the number of variables to find a unique solution.

3. Can a system of O.D.E.'s with more than one degree of freedom be converted into a single O.D.E.?

Yes, it is possible to convert a system of O.D.E.'s with multiple degrees of freedom into a single O.D.E. by introducing new variables that represent the additional degrees of freedom. This is known as the method of elimination of parameters.

4. What is the benefit of converting a system of O.D.E.'s into a single O.D.E.?

Converting a system of O.D.E.'s into a single O.D.E. can simplify the problem and make it easier to solve. It also allows for a better understanding of the dynamics of the system and can reveal relationships between the different variables.

5. Are there any limitations to converting a system of O.D.E.'s into a single O.D.E.?

Yes, there are limitations to this approach. It may not be possible to convert a system of O.D.E.'s into a single O.D.E. if the equations are highly nonlinear or if the system has a large number of degrees of freedom. In these cases, other methods such as numerical simulations may be necessary.