2 degree of freedom system modeling

In summary, the problem involves a 3 degree of freedom spring mass system with masses m1, m2, and m3 at equilibrium positions X10, X20, and X30 respectively. At t=0s, mass m1 is pulled to the left with force T(t) while the other masses are moved from their equilibrium positions by x1(t), x2(t), and x3(t). The fundamental equation of the dynamics for m1, m2, and m3 involves the stiffness coefficients K1 and K2 for the springs and the viscous coefficients f1, f2, and f3. The motion of m1 is influenced by the motion of m2 and the forces exerted on m1 and m
omka
Poster warned about not having used the homework template
Hello,
I'm having difficulty finding equation of motion for 3 degree of freedom spring mass system.

IMG-20171020-WA0007.jpg

Homework Statement
the positions of the masses at the equilibre are respectively X10, X20, X30
At t = 0s, the mass m1 is drawn to the left with the force T (t).
Each of the masses is moved from it's equilibrium position by x1 (t), x2 (t) and x3 (t), respectively.
Write the fundamental equation of the dynamics for m1, m2 and m3
K1 stiffness coefficient spring 1
K3 stiffness coefficient spring 2
f1 f2 f3 viscous coefficient

Homework Equations

the fundamental equation of the dynamics

The Attempt at a Solution

At t= 0s When the mass m1 has moved a distance x1 from it's position (to the left) the spring k1 will be stretched that mean that this spring will be exerting a force on the mass to the right. The viscous force f1 will be exerting also a force on the right because the viscous fiction is always opposite to the direction of motion.
Capture d’écran 2017-10-20 à 15.29.26.png

But the motion of m1 depend also of the motion of mass 2 and so of f2.
Could you please help me to understand what are the forces exerted on the mass 1 and mass 2 from the other masses.

Attachments

• IMG-20171020-WA0007.jpg
    IMG-20171020-WA0007.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 746
  • Capture d’écran 2017-10-20 à 15.29.26.png
    Capture d’écran 2017-10-20 à 15.29.26.png
    2 KB · Views: 578
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
omka said:
I'm having difficulty finding equation of motion for 2 degree of freedom spring mass system.
Doesn't the picture show 3 degrees of freedom?

omka said:
When the mass m1 has moved a distance x1 from it's position the spring k1 will be stretched that mean that this spring will be exerting a force on the mass to the right.
From the point of view of particle 1, does it matter if it is being pulled by the spring because particle 1 has moved to the left or because particle 2 has moved to the right?

omka said:
Could you please help me to understand what are the forces exerted on the mass 1 from the other masses.
To be clear: it is not the other masses that exert forces, only springs and dampers.

Likes omka
DrClaude said:
From the point of view of particle 1, does it matter if it is being pulled by the spring because particle 1 has moved to the left or because particle 2 has moved to the right?

This is my problem.i can't understand how can one mass move while the other is held still. if i apply force T(t)on m1 m2 will move too ?

omka said:
This is my problem.i can't understand how can one mass move while the other is held still. if i apply force T(t)on m1 m2 will move too ?
The fact that the motion of the masses will be coupled is taken care of by the fact that you will get a set of coupled equations of motion. From the point of view of a mass, all that is important is the force acting on it.

So, given the position of the masses, what is the force on mass 1 due to k1 and f1?

1. What is a 2 degree of freedom system?

A 2 degree of freedom system refers to a mechanical or structural system with two independent variables that affect its behavior. These variables can include position, velocity, acceleration, or other physical quantities.

2. Why is modeling a 2 degree of freedom system important?

Modeling a 2 degree of freedom system allows scientists and engineers to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems with multiple variables. This is essential for designing and optimizing structures, machines, and other mechanical systems.

3. What methods are used to model a 2 degree of freedom system?

There are various methods used to model a 2 degree of freedom system, including analytical and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve solving equations and equations of motion, while numerical methods use computer simulations and algorithms to approximate the behavior of the system.

4. What are some real-world applications of 2 degree of freedom system modeling?

2 degree of freedom system modeling has various real-world applications, including in the fields of engineering, physics, and biomechanics. It is used to study and design structures such as bridges, buildings, and aircraft, as well as to understand the motion and behavior of machines and biological systems.

5. What are some limitations of 2 degree of freedom system modeling?

One limitation of 2 degree of freedom system modeling is that it relies on simplifying assumptions and idealized conditions, which may not accurately represent real-world systems. Additionally, complex systems with more than two degrees of freedom may require more advanced modeling techniques to accurately predict their behavior.