Geodesic Deviation in Spacetime: Exploring the Possibilities

In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of euclidean space in explaining fundamental relationships in GR and the question of whether causality can be incorporated into these explanations. The argument for using Riemannian concepts in pseudo-Riemannian situations, such as in the geodesic deviation equation, is that there is no non-causal element involved and it is simply a local equation that measures the second order rate of change of infinitesimal spatial displacements between neighboring observers. The issue of causality is not discussed in other investigations.
m4r35n357
I've been meaning to ask this for some time, and now I've plucked up the courage! It is puzzling to me that many fundamental relationships in GR are explained in terms of euclidean space. Taking for example the geodesic deviation equation, it occurs to me that if defined in 3+1 spacetime there is at least the possibility that u, v or w could represent something non-causal. What is the basic argument for translating Riemannian concepts to pseudo-Reimannian situations? Is there a sense that we could bake causality into things like geodesic deviation, or is this a non-issue? I don't recall seeing this issue discussed in any of my other investigations . . .

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a non-issue. There is certainly nothing non-causal present. We simply have a congruence of time-like geodesics with some associated 4-velocity field and we Lie transport a space-like vector field along this 4-velocity field in order to define infinitesimal spatial displacements between neighboring observers of the geodesic congruence. We then look at the second covariant derivative of this space-like vector field along the geodesic congruence and from that we get the geodesic deviation equation which just measures the second order rate of change of the infinitesimal spatial displacements between the neighboring observers of the congruence. It's a completely local equation.

1. What is geodesic deviation in spacetime?

Geodesic deviation is the phenomenon of how two initially parallel geodesics (the shortest path between two points in spacetime) can diverge over time due to the curvature of spacetime.

2. How does geodesic deviation relate to general relativity?

Geodesic deviation is a key concept in general relativity, as it illustrates the effects of gravity on the motion of objects in spacetime. In general relativity, gravity is described as the curvature of spacetime, and geodesic deviation shows how this curvature affects the paths of objects.

3. Can geodesic deviation be observed in real life?

Yes, geodesic deviation has been observed in various situations, such as the orbits of planets around the sun and the bending of light around massive objects. In fact, the famous confirmation of general relativity by Arthur Eddington in 1919 was based on the observation of geodesic deviation of starlight passing by the sun.

4. Are there any practical applications of geodesic deviation?

Geodesic deviation has many practical applications, particularly in the field of space travel. Understanding how geodesic deviation works is crucial for calculating the trajectories of spacecraft and ensuring their safe and accurate navigation through curved spacetime.

5. Is geodesic deviation a relatively new concept?

No, the concept of geodesic deviation has been around since the early 20th century when Einstein developed his theory of general relativity. However, the exploration and understanding of its possibilities continue to evolve and contribute to our understanding of the universe.