Finding required resistor to reduce voltage

In summary: Close enough!In summary, when using a light bulb rated for 6.3 V, you can reduce the voltage to 6.3 V by using a resistor that is 10% closer to the voltage rating of the bulb. The closest 10% resistor value is 47 Ω.
deus_ex_86

Homework Statement

Your task is to design a "dummy" indicator light for your car. The cheapest bulb available is a #47 incandescent lamp rated at 6.3V for 150 mA. The problem is, your car produces 13.5 V when it's on. Choose the nearest 10% resistor that will reduce the voltage across the bulb to 6.3V.

Homework Equations

V = IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I modeled the bulb as a resistor:

6.3 V = .150 A * R
Which gives R = 42 [itex]\Omega[/itex].

From there, I plugged this value into a new circuit with a 13.5 V source instead of a 6.3 V source, and added the unknown resistor to the equation:

13.5 V = .150 A * R + 6.3 V
7.2 V = .150 A * R
R = 48 [itex]\Omega[/itex].

The nearest 10% resistor value is 47 [itex]\Omega[/itex], but this wouldn't reduce the voltage across the bulb to 6.3 V. The next closest 10% resistor is 56 [itex]\Omega[/itex]. It just seems that this value is too high ... Did I follow this process correctly? What would you choose?

Physics news on Phys.org
48-ohms look right. What are you getting for the new bulb voltage (with the 47-ohm R)?

48 ohms is the theoretical value, but I have to choose a 10% resistor to use. When I use the 47 ohm resistor, I end up with 6.37 V across the bulb.

Close enough!

[edit: To the letter of the question the solution does not exist. To the intent of the question, 47-ohms is a good answer, if you stipulate your voltage deviation, you should be fine.]

With a 47Ω resistor, the bulb will have approximately 6.37 volts across it. Light bulbs are not very picky, so this will work fine.

With the 56Ω resistor, the bulb will only have about 5.79 volts across it. Still, a workable voltage, but it's the current that we're really concerned with...

The 47Ω resistor will limit the current through the bulb to about 151.69 mA which is just over the design rating. The bulb will burn slightly brighter (although probably not noticeably).

The 56Ω resistor will limit the current down to about 137.76 mA and the bulb will burn slightly dimmer. You're only looking at about an 8% loss of current though, so either will work.

I'd use the 47Ω resistor.

zgozvrm said:
With a 47Ω resistor, the bulb will have approximately 6.37 volts across it. Light bulbs are not very picky, so this will work fine.

With the 56Ω resistor, the bulb will only have about 5.79 volts across it. Still, a workable voltage, but it's the current that we're really concerned with...

The 47Ω resistor will limit the current through the bulb to about 151.69 mA which is just over the design rating. The bulb will burn slightly brighter (although probably not noticeably).

The 56Ω resistor will limit the current down to about 137.76 mA and the bulb will burn slightly dimmer. You're only looking at about an 8% loss of current though, so either will work.

I'd use the 47Ω resistor.

Thanks, so would my TA, as I got a 100% on the assignment. :)

With ±10% resistors there could be a resistor that is 42.3Ω and car battery voltage can spike into the 14.0 volt range. That would cause 166 ma to flow through the bulb or about 10.7% more. Since power is I²R, there can be an extra 23% power dissipated through the bulb which will shorten its life.

IMO the design would have had some breathing room built in if you went with the 56Ω bulb.

1. How do I calculate the required resistor to reduce voltage?

The required resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Rearranging the equation, we get R = V/I. Therefore, to find the required resistor, you will need to know the voltage and current values.

2. Can I use any resistor to reduce voltage?

No, you cannot use any resistor to reduce voltage. The resistor used must have a resistance value that is equal to or greater than the calculated value. Additionally, the resistor must be able to handle the power dissipation required for the circuit.

3. How does a resistor reduce voltage?

A resistor reduces voltage by dissipating some of the electrical energy in the form of heat. As the current flows through the resistor, there is a drop in voltage across it according to Ohm's Law. This results in a decrease in the overall voltage in the circuit.

4. What happens if I use a resistor with a lower resistance value?

If you use a resistor with a lower resistance value, the voltage reduction will not be enough and the circuit will not function properly. This can also cause the resistor to overheat and potentially damage the circuit.

5. Can I use multiple resistors to reduce voltage?

Yes, you can use multiple resistors in series or parallel to reduce voltage. When connected in series, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. When connected in parallel, the total resistance is calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn.