What is current across 5 ohm resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of superposition theorem to find the current across a 5 ohm resistor in a circuit with two voltage sources. The theorem states that when only one source is active, the other becomes a short circuit (for voltage sources) or an open circuit (for current sources). The book points out that having voltage sources of different magnitude in parallel is not possible, and suggests using only one source and applying Ohm's law. The conversation also mentions the importance of considering internal resistance in real-life circuits.
jaus tail

Homework Statement

Find the current across 5 ohm resistor
upload_2016-11-19_11-16-12.png

Homework Equations

Superposition theorem. Other voltage sources become short circuit and current sources become open circuit.
Ohm's law. I = V / R

The Attempt at a Solution

Using superposition theorem, we get:
When only left side 10 V source is there, is short circuit across right side 10 V source, so current through 5 ohm resistor is zero.
It's the same when only right side 10 V source is acting.
So total current across 5 ohm resistor is zero.

Book says: we cannot have voltage sources of different magnitude in parallel and that current cannot be determined.
For voltage sources of same magnitude in parallel, take only one voltage source and apply ohm's law.

I'm confused. Why should we ignore other voltage source?

Isn't parallel operation of transformer same as above case? Like the load sees two voltage sources in parallel?

Untitled-6-min.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-19_11-9-40.png
    upload_2016-11-19_11-9-40.png
    1.2 KB · Views: 589
Physics news on Phys.org
The top circuit is imaginary because the two voltage sources are not shown with an internal resistance ... all batteries have internal resistance which will limit the amount of current they can deliver ,In the circuit one battery is irrelevant ...it would not be in real life because of internal resistance 2 sources would deliver more current to the 5 ohm resister

It's similar in the parallel transformer if only A was used , at high currents the coils could overheat and burn out , having A and B allows double the current to the load , before the transformer gets too hot for comfort.

Likes jaus tail
jaus tail said:
Book says: we cannot have voltage sources of different magnitude in parallel
That's true. BUT in the DC circuit you have drawn the sources are not different. Two identical ideal sources in parallel are no different to one ideal voltage source of identical voltage. So you can analyse the circuit with just one 10V source.

⏩ BTW, I'm left wondering did you intend to show one source with polarity opposite to that of the other? Otherwise, in the circuit as drawn I don't see a problem.

If you connect a +10.000V source between points in a circuit which are already at a potential difference of +10.000V then nothing happens, nothing changes. No current will flow to or from that source.

Likes jaus tail
NascentOxygen said:
That's true. BUT in the DC circuit you have drawn the sources are not different. Two identical ideal sources in parallel are no different to one ideal voltage source of identical voltage. So you can analyse the circuit with just one 10V source.

⏩ BTW, I'm left wondering did you intend to show one source with polarity opposite to that of the other? Otherwise, in the circuit as drawn I don't see a problem.

If you connect a +10.000V source between points in a circuit which are already at a potential difference of +10.000V then nothing happens, nothing changes. No current will flow to or from that source.

Thanks. There are actually three problems in book. One with two voltage sources of same polarity and different magnitude in parallel, second problem has 2 voltage sources of same polarity and magnitude in parallel, and third problem has two sources of same magnitude but opposite polarity in parallel.

1. What is current?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor or circuit. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

2. What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electronic component that limits the flow of electric current in a circuit. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol "R".

3. What is a 5 ohm resistor?

A 5 ohm resistor is a resistor with a resistance of 5 ohms. This means that when a voltage of 1 volt is applied across the resistor, a current of 0.2 amperes (A) will flow through it according to Ohm's Law (I = V/R).

4. How is current affected by a 5 ohm resistor?

The current through a 5 ohm resistor is directly proportional to the voltage across it and inversely proportional to its resistance. This means that as the voltage increases, the current through the resistor will also increase, and as the resistance increases, the current will decrease.

5. Can current flow through a 5 ohm resistor without a voltage source?

No, current cannot flow through a resistor without a voltage source. In order for current to flow, there must be a potential difference (voltage) across the resistor to push the electrons through it. A 5 ohm resistor will not allow any current to flow if there is no voltage applied across it.