I was so sure I had gotten this acceration problem right

• Thread starter sweetdaisy186
  • Start date
In summary, the car travels a total of 0.01787 meters during the time it takes to go from rest to 40 miles per hour.
sweetdaisy186
Hey guys

I was really confident that I had done this problem right. I have no idea where I went wrong. :(

A car accerlation from rest to a speed of 40 mi/hr in 12s. How far does the car travel during this time?

I remembered my teacher saying that speed is equal to the distance over time. So I thought that I could solve for this distance using that equation. I converted the 40 mi/hr into 0.01787 m/s and then multiplied by 15s to get a really small number. I think I messed up somewhere. Could I please have a hint? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly, I think you did some math wrong. 40 miles per hour is clearly faster than 0.01787 meters per second. That's not even 2 centimeters per second ! You've been on a car before and I think you know it moves _slightly_ faster than that ^^. Sanity checks are always useful in physics to check your own work.

I don't know if you have been introduced to the kinematics equations yet? You can't use your intuitive d = vt because there is acceleration involved and velocity is not constant! That equation only works when there is no acceleration. They are equations that look like this:

[tex]d = v_i t + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2ad[/tex]

which is derived using calculus. It describes the distance [tex]d[/tex] traveled by someone or something given an initial velocity [tex]v_i[/tex] and an acceleration [tex]a[/tex] over a period of time [tex]t[/tex]. Just check up on your calculations and you should be good ^^.

HI!

I have been introduced to the equations that you posted, but I didn't think I could use it because I didn't know what to put for velocity since it only gave acceration and time. Can I just assume that it is zero?

When you're solving a physics problems, don't just look for the numbers! You're trying to understand the situation as well as the equation you are using. It says the car is "starting from rest". What does that tell you about the initial velocity. It says the car attains a speed of 40 miles/hr in the end. In fact, they don't tell you the value for acceleration. There's also another equation to the series ^^:

[tex]v_{final} = v_{initial} + at[/tex]

The initial velocity has to be zero since it is starting from rest. So I should solve for the acceleration correct? After I use your equation I can use the first equation that you gave me to find the final answer. This is my theory...

sweetdaisy186 said:
The initial velocity has to be zero since it is starting from rest. So I should solve for the acceleration correct? After I use your equation I can use the first equation that you gave me to find the final answer. This is my theory...
Sounds good to me, just be careful with your unit conversions.

I get it now. Thanks everyone for your help!

Related to I was so sure I had gotten this acceration problem right

What is acceleration and why is it important to understand?

Acceleration is the change in velocity over time of an object. It is important to understand because it helps us understand how objects move and how forces affect their motion.

How do I calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What are some common units of acceleration?

The most common units of acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2) and feet per second squared (ft/s^2).

What factors can affect acceleration?

Acceleration can be affected by the force applied to an object, the mass of the object, and any friction or resistance present. It can also be affected by the shape and size of the object.

What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, velocity describes how fast an object is moving, while acceleration describes how fast the object's speed is changing.