How do i copyright my website?

• Thread starter The riddler
  • Start date
In summary: There are a lot of factors to consider when making this kind of decision, so do some research before taking any action. In summary, if you make a website, you automatically have copyright protection in most countries. However, registering your copyright can help to stop someone from ripping off your website, and may be worth the associated costs.
The riddler
How do i copyright my website?

Hi all, I am making a website but I am worried about copyright. Could someone tell me how i could copyright my website (preferably for free) or whether or not i actually need to copyright it at all.

Technology news on Phys.org

In most countries it is automatically copyrighted to you by creating it (Berne convention) as with any other creative work.
If you have specific trademarks it is sometimes worth registering those (especially in the USA - where it allows you to claim damages)
But to actualy stop somebody ripping off your website - all you can do is have bigger and meaner lawyers than the other guy.

mXSCNT said:
In the USA you automatically have copyright whether you register it or not. But there are advantages to registering, if you think it is likely someone will violate your copyright, and you want to stop them:
http://inventors.about.com/od/copyrights/a/copyright_2.htm

On the other hand, registering costs money:
http://www.copyright.gov/docs/fees.html

Also note that if you do take someone to court over copyright infringement you will be required to register your copyright to recoup damages anyway.

Do you think it is even likely that you would sue someone for damages if they ripped off your website? Is your website design so amazing that it would be worth more than the associated costs of suing someone? With these sorts of things you really need to think about the practicality of it. Just because you technically could sue someone for something that they did does not mean that it is actually worth it to do so.

1. What is copyright?

Copyright is a legal concept that grants the creator of an original work the exclusive rights to its use and distribution. It protects the work from being used without the creator's permission and allows them to benefit financially from their creation.

2. Is my website automatically copyrighted?

No, your website is not automatically copyrighted. While your website is protected by intellectual property laws, it is important to officially register for copyright protection to have the full legal benefits and enforcement options.

3. How do I copyright my website?

To copyright your website, you can register for copyright protection with the U.S. Copyright Office. This can be done online or through mail by submitting a completed application, a copy of your website, and a filing fee.

4. How much does it cost to copyright a website?

The cost to copyright a website can vary, but generally it is around $35 for online registration and $85 for paper filing. There may also be additional fees for expedited processing or special handling requests.

5. How long does copyright protection last for a website?

In the United States, copyright protection for a website lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years after their death. After this time period, the work enters the public domain and is free for anyone to use.