How Do You Calculate an Astronaut's Orbit Around the Moon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of an astronaut's acceleration, orbital speed, and period of orbit while orbiting the moon. Using the mass and radius of the moon, the gravitational acceleration is determined to be 1.71m/s^2. The conversation also mentions using equations for gravity and circular motion to solve the problem.
bang

Homework Statement

While 2 astronauts were on the surface of the moon, a third astronaut orbited the moon. Assume the orbit to be circular and 100km above the surface of the moon. If the mass and radius of the moon at 7.40x10^22kg and 1.70x10^6m respectively, determine (a) the orbiting astronauts acceleration, (b) his orbital speed, and (c) the period of the orbit

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty clueless here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the easy bits. First collect whatever equations you think might be applicable. The question is about gravity and circular motion, so... what are the 'usual suspects' for formulas used there?

So I started doing it a bit and so far I have gotten the gravitational acceleration to be 1.71m/s^2 but from here how can I solve the actual acceleration the astronaut is experiencing without his mass?

Show your work so far for the acceleration.

Actually I solved it haha... I had a momentary brain fart. But anyway I solved for gravity and gravity is the acceleration that the person in orbit experiences and its easy from there.

Very good

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain a curved motion.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F=mv²/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the moon orbiting around the Earth, a car turning around a curve, and a roller coaster moving around a loop.

4. Can centripetal force be greater than the weight of an object?

Yes, centripetal force can be greater than the weight of an object. This is because centripetal force is dependent on the velocity and radius of the circle, not the weight of the object.

5. How does centripetal force relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Centripetal force is a result of Newton's First Law of Motion, which states that an object in motion will continue moving in a straight line at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of circular motion, the centripetal force is the external force that keeps the object moving in a curved path.