Finding the astronaut's weight on a planet's surface

In summary, A landing craft with mass 1.22×10^4 kg is orbiting a planet with a period of 5100 s and a diameter of 9.50×10^6 m. The craft sets down at the planet's north pole. To find the weight of an astronaut stepping onto the planet's surface, the circular motion speed equation and the equation for gravitational force were used to find the mass of the planet. It was determined that the radius used in the equations should be the sum of the planet's radius and the distance of the landing craft from the planet's surface.
Vanessa Avila

Homework Statement

A landing craft with mass 1.22×10^4 kg is in a circular orbit a distance 5.50×10^5 m above the surface of a planet. The period of the orbit is 5100 s . The astronauts in the lander measure the diameter of the planet to be 9.50×10^6 m . The lander sets down at the north pole of the planet.
What is the weight of an astronaut of mass 84.1 kg as he steps out onto the planet's surface?

Homework Equations

circular motion speed: v = √GM/r
g: GM/r2
T = 2πr/v

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve for the speed by using the period.
5100 = 2π(5.50*10^5)/v
v = 677.6 m/s
and using the circular motion speed equation, I tried to solve for M, where the radius i used is the radius of the planet:
677.6 = √6.67*10^-11*M/4.75*10^6
M = 3.27*10^22

and then i used GM/r^2 to solve for G.

6.67*10^-11*3.27*10^22/(4.75*10^6) and i got a really small g. I think I'm missing something. Especially because I haven't used the space satellite's mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
Vanessa Avila said:
A landing craft ... in a circular orbit a distance 5.50×10^5 m above the surface of a planet.
T = 2πr/v
5100 = 2π(5.50*10^5)/v
In the equation T = 2πr/v, what does r represent? What does the distance 5.50×10^5 m represent?

TSny said:
In the equation T = 2πr/v, what does r represent? What does the distance 5.50×10^5 m represent?
That distance represents how far the landcraft is hovering above the planet

Vanessa Avila said:
That distance represents how far the landcraft is hovering above the planet
That's what the number 5.50 x 105 m represents. But the r in 2πr/v is a different distance.

TSny said:
That's what the number 5.50 x 105 m represents. But the r in 2πr/v is a different distance.
so the r should be the radius of the planet instead of the distance the landing craft is from the planet?

Vanessa Avila said:
so the r should be the radius of the planet instead of the distance the landing craft is from the planet?
No. Think about where the formula T = 2πr/v comes from. The craft moves at constant speed while in orbit. For something moving at constant speed, distance = speed x time. Or, time = distance/speed. Apply this to one orbit of the craft so that the time is equal to the period T:

T = distance/v. Here, the distance is how far the craft travels in one circular orbit.

TSny said:
No. Think about where the formula T = 2πr/v comes from. The craft moves at constant speed while in orbit. For something moving at constant speed, distance = speed x time. Or, time = distance/speed. Apply this to one orbit of the craft so that the time is equal to the period T:

T = distance/v. Here, the distance is how far the craft travels in one circular orbit.
so would the r be the planet's radius + landing craft's distance?

Vanessa Avila said:
so would the r be the planet's radius + landing craft's distance?
Yes. r is the radius of the craft's orbit.

can i use > 5100s = 2π(r1+r2)/√GmM/(r1+r2) to solve for M ?
TSny said:
Yes. r is the radius of the craft's orbit.

Vanessa Avila said:
can i use > 5100s = 2π(r1+r2)/√GmM/(r1+r2) to solve for M ?
Yes, except why does m appear on the right side?

Nit picky note: To avoid confusion with the square root symbol √, use parentheses to show what belongs inside the square root. If I write √ab, then it is not clear if both the a and the b are inside the square root. Most people would interpret √ab to mean that only the "a" is inside the square root. If you want to indicate that both a and b are inside, then you should write √(ab).

1. How do you calculate an astronaut's weight on a planet's surface?

To calculate an astronaut's weight on a planet's surface, you need to know the planet's mass, radius, and the astronaut's mass. Then, you can use the formula W=mg, where W is the weight, m is the mass of the astronaut, and g is the acceleration due to gravity on that planet's surface.

2. What factors affect the weight of an astronaut on a planet's surface?

The weight of an astronaut on a planet's surface is affected by the planet's mass, radius, and the astronaut's mass. The acceleration due to gravity also varies depending on the planet's mass and radius.

3. How does an astronaut's weight on Earth compare to their weight on other planets?

An astronaut's weight on Earth is different from their weight on other planets because the acceleration due to gravity is different on each planet. For example, an astronaut weighing 150 pounds on Earth would weigh about 56 pounds on Mars and 355 pounds on Jupiter.

4. Can you determine the weight of an astronaut on a planet's surface without knowing the planet's mass?

No, the weight of an astronaut on a planet's surface cannot be determined without knowing the planet's mass. The planet's mass is a crucial factor in calculating the acceleration due to gravity, which directly affects an object's weight on the planet's surface.

5. How does an astronaut's weight on the moon compare to their weight on Earth?

An astronaut's weight on the moon is about one-sixth of their weight on Earth because the moon has one-sixth the acceleration due to gravity compared to Earth. This means that an astronaut weighing 150 pounds on Earth would weigh about 25 pounds on the moon.