Surface integrals of vector fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the integral formula for calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface with parametrization. The conversation also touches on the importance of using the correct normal vector and surface measure in the calculation. Additionally, it is mentioned that these two elements are interrelated and cannot be changed without affecting the other. The conversation ends with the understanding that the definition of the differential dS relies on a unique parameterization and that it cannot be changed arbitrarily.
cjc0117
The integral for calculating the flux of a vector field through a surface S with parametrization r(u,v) can be written as:

[itex]\int\int_{D}F\bullet(r_{u}\times r_{v})dA[/itex]

But what's to stop one from multiplying the normal vector [itex]r_{u}\times r_{v}[/itex] by a scalar, which would result in a different flux? When you're asked to find the flux of a vector field through a surface, how do you know which scalar to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
dA is du*dv, right? That's your formula. It doesn't say you can multiply the normal vector in the formula by an arbitrary number. Why would you do that?

I got confused because I was trying to solve a problem where you had to use Stoke's theorem to find the flux of the vector field <2x,3y,z3> through the curve of intersection of the paraboloid z=x2+y2 and the plane 2x+4y+z=1, when C is traversed conterclockwise when viewed from the origin. So I found the curl to be <0,0,5>, the normal to the plane <2,4,1> and the region D traced out by the curve C to be a circle of radius sqrt(6). The flux I think is just -<0,0,5>*<2,4,1>π(sqrt(6))2=-30π. But then I started thinking, since any normal can be used to find the scalar equation of a plane, why can't the normal <2,4,1> be multiplied by, say, 2 to get <4,8,2>. It'll still be normal to the plane, right? Then the flux would be -60π. But now that I think of it more, that doesn't make sense, since the normal vector was derived from the scalar equation of the plane, which dictates that the normal vector be <2,4,1>.

cjc0117 said:
I got confused because I was trying to solve a problem where you had to use Stoke's theorem to find the flux of the vector field <2x,3y,z3> through the curve of intersection of the paraboloid z=x2+y2 and the plane 2x+4y+z=1, when C is traversed conterclockwise when viewed from the origin. So I found the curl to be <0,0,5>, the normal to the plane <2,4,1> and the region D traced out by the curve C to be a circle of radius sqrt(6). The flux I think is just -<0,0,5>*<2,4,1>π(sqrt(6))2=-30π. But then I started thinking, since any normal can be used to find the scalar equation of a plane, why can't the normal <2,4,1> be multiplied by, say, 2 to get <4,8,2>. It'll still be normal to the plane, right? Then the flux would be -60π. But now that I think of it more, that doesn't make sense, since the normal vector was derived from the scalar equation of the plane, which dictates that the normal vector be <2,4,1>.

Your formula uses a specific normal vector and a specific surface measure dA=du*dv. Sometimes you do it with a unit normal vector and a different notion of surface measure. The two are interrelated. You can't change one without changing the other.

Thank you. So it can't be changed just by virtue of the definition of the differential dS=(ru x rv)dudv, which relies on a unique parameterization r(u,v) (or at least unique within the scope of a single coordinate system)? I really don't understand why this was troubling me; I must have been very tired last night.

What is a surface integral of a vector field?

A surface integral of a vector field is a mathematical concept that calculates the flux, or flow, of a vector field through a surface. It involves integrating the dot product of the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface over the surface itself.

What is the physical significance of surface integrals of vector fields?

Surface integrals of vector fields have various physical applications, such as calculating the electric flux through a closed surface in electromagnetism or the fluid flow through a surface in fluid dynamics. They also have applications in engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force on a surface in a mechanical system.

How do you calculate a surface integral of a vector field?

To calculate a surface integral of a vector field, you first need to parameterize the surface and determine the limits of integration. Then, you can use the dot product between the vector field and the unit normal vector to the surface, along with the surface area element, to set up the integral. Finally, you can evaluate the integral using appropriate techniques, such as using a change of variables or using symmetry properties.

What is the difference between a closed surface integral and an open surface integral?

A closed surface integral is one that is calculated over a surface that completely encloses a region in space, while an open surface integral is one that is calculated over a surface that does not enclose a region in space. Closed surface integrals are often used in physics and engineering, while open surface integrals are more common in mathematics and theoretical applications.

What are some common applications of surface integrals of vector fields?

Surface integrals of vector fields have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in electromagnetism to calculate electric flux, in fluid dynamics to calculate fluid flow, and in mechanics to calculate work done by a force on a surface. They also have applications in fields such as computer graphics, where they are used to calculate the amount of light reflected off a surface.