Electric Motor Design? Learn How in EE School Classes

In summary, an EE student would need to learn about electricity and magnetism before learning about motors. Most EE curriculums focus on software over hardware.
Ryuk1990
I've been looking at the undergrad catalog of my school and I haven't noticed any classes that teach motor design. I found classes on drives and motor control but nothing on the actual design of motors/generators. I always thought electric machines was a fundamental topic that all EE curriculums go over. Did you learn motor design in school? If so, what was the class called?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Most EE studies tend to focus the other direction - towards software, instead of toward hardware. I believe electric motors are more in Mechanical Engineering.

Also, I do not believe there will be a single class that covers electric motors. Instead, I think you have to look at it yourself and learn from the web.

There comes a point in every EE students life when he realizes that most of what goes on in the real world of EE will not be taught in school. Most of it you have to learn yourself.

"Electric Machinery"

We covered DC then AC motors, then transformers.

a delightful course with a lab accompanying it.
Each student station had a dynamometer with a 7.5 hp DC and a like sized 3phase AC machine.

See if you can locate TI's "Motor Compendium" and interest your faculty in teaching a course. Since my day they've revolutionized motors - the simple washing machine motor is now a three phase computer controlled marvel with complex math for its "Field Oriented Control", not unlike a giant disk drive motor..

@Runei: Mechanical engineers doing electric motor design? Why would that happen? Do MEs even have enough knowledge about electricity and magnetism? I've met a few motor designers and they were all EE trained. They told me there's not much mechanics involved. It's more about EE principles which is why motor design is more appropriate for an EE.

@Jim: I found this link if this is what you meant. http://focus.ti.com/docs/training/catalog/events/event.jhtml?sku=OLT210201

That's it, Ryuk. It does a great job with basic principles.

It doesn't go into(as best i recall) how to size your iron and copper
but it'll sure familiarize you with terminology and concepts.

old jim

I took "Transducers and Electrical Machinery".

Book was "Electromagnetic and Electromechanical Machines" by Matsch.

That was many years ago but I just looked online and same course it is still offered and is currently called "Electrical Machines and Actuators".

My school has a new professor who is planning on teaching a new course on electric machines and drives. Just my luck...literally. :-)

1. What is an electric motor?

An electric motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It consists of a rotor (rotating part) and a stator (stationary part) and works based on the principle of electromagnetic induction.

2. How does an electric motor work?

Electric motors work by using the interaction between the magnetic fields of the rotor and stator. When an electric current is passed through the windings of the stator, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnets on the rotor, causing it to rotate.

3. What are the key components of an electric motor?

The key components of an electric motor include the rotor, stator, windings, permanent magnets, bearings, and a power source (such as a battery or power supply). Other components may include a commutator, brushes, and a control system.

4. What factors are considered in electric motor design?

Electric motor design takes into account factors such as the required torque and speed, the type of power source, the operating environment, and the desired efficiency. Other factors include the size and weight constraints, cost, and reliability requirements.

5. How can I learn about electric motor design?

The best way to learn about electric motor design is to study electrical engineering and take classes specifically focused on electric machines. Many universities and technical schools offer courses in electric motor design as part of their electrical engineering curriculum. Additionally, there are numerous online resources, books, and workshops available for individuals interested in learning about electric motor design.