What to read to learn Electrical Engineering

In summary: There are numerous online electronics and electricity courses and tutorials for everything imaginable. Most questions will bring up a youtube video.
atgblue1
Is there any standard book or source to go to for someone wanting to learn how electricity works and motors and AC and DC so they can pursue their ideas and be able to understand the theory of their electrical imaginations and how it could or could not work?

I"m not wanting a career in anything electrical at all, I have my own career and family, and just want to be able to tinker around with ideas and make my own DIY-electrical generators, wind, solar, and other powered stuff.

But I find myself lost in a lot of it to start with. I have time on my hands but haven't found anything that didn't feel like at-home-college-courses :/

Engineering news on Phys.org
I haven't read it, but I have always seen The Art of Electronics as many people's #1 recommendation.

Likes davenn and atgblue1
thank you, I"ll look into it

There are numerous online electronics and electricity courses and tutorials for everything imaginable. Most questions will bring up a youtube video.

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/circuits-topic/circuits-resistance/v/circuits-part-1 <--- best online
http://www.electronicstheory.com/

You can start clicking through hyperphysics here
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/dccircon.html#c1 <--- survey the field

And, of course, the dreaded online college courses:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/Everybody seems to recommend the Art of Electronics. Some say it is more of an unorganized reference/cookbook than a textbook.
You should go to a local bookstore and browse the books for one that seems to be suited to you.

The first electronics book I ever read was Elements of Radio, which started out explaining how radios work. Much more fun to start with than Ohms Law.
Buy an old banged up copy.

thank you! this should keep me interested for a while, when I invent my idea and become a millionaire I'll pm you :)

1. What are the best books to read to learn Electrical Engineering?

Some highly recommended books for learning Electrical Engineering are "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, "Principles of Electric Circuits: Conventional Current Version" by Thomas L. Floyd, "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N.O. Sadiku, "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith, and "Electric Machinery Fundamentals" by Stephen J. Chapman.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to learn Electrical Engineering?

While a strong foundation in math is certainly helpful, it is not necessary to have a deep understanding of calculus or advanced mathematics to learn Electrical Engineering. Basic algebra and trigonometry are the most commonly used math skills in this field.

3. Can I learn Electrical Engineering solely from books or do I need hands-on experience?

Books are a great resource for learning the theoretical concepts of Electrical Engineering, but hands-on experience is also crucial for fully understanding and applying these concepts. It is recommended to supplement book learning with practical projects and experiments to gain a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

4. Are there any online resources for learning Electrical Engineering?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning Electrical Engineering such as video tutorials, online courses, and interactive simulations. Some popular websites for this subject include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. How long does it take to learn Electrical Engineering?

The time it takes to learn Electrical Engineering varies depending on the individual's learning pace and the depth of knowledge they wish to acquire. It typically takes 4-5 years to complete a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, but self-study and online resources can also be used to learn the basics in a shorter time frame.