Identifying Direction of Induced Current - Physics Exam Prep

In summary, the person is seeking help with identifying the direction of induced current for an upcoming physics exam. They are looking for a link or instructions on how to identify the direction. The steps provided include defining the positive direction of the surface enclosed by the loop, finding the direction of increasing magnetic flux, using Lenz's law to determine the direction of the induced current, and using the right hand rule to confirm the direction. The person acknowledges that this may still be confusing and may need to create diagrams to fully understand.
bayan
Hi guys.
I have a physics exam coming up in about 4 days. I have tried to learn how to identify the direction of induced current. But still I have to guess the direction which is not helpfull.
I was wondering if you could give me a link that illustrates how to identfy the direction or perhaps write down the steps that you would do in order to identify the direction of induced current.
thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
1 - Define your positive direction of the surface enclosed by the loop.
2 - find which direction the magnetic flux is increasing. If the magnet is pushed into a loop with N-pole at front(along the positive direction you defined from step 1), the magnetic flux is increasing.
3 - Len'z law says, your induced current has to create magnetic field in the opposite direction of step two.
4 - Now use right hand rule to figure out the directino of induced current. Your thumb will point to the direction you found in step 3. Rest of your finger curls along the directino of induced current.

But at any rate, this might still be confusing.

thanx. Might have to make some simple digrams for my self to fully learn this :D

"Define your positive direction of the surface enclosed by the loop."
Sorry, what does this mean>?

1. What is the concept of induced current?

Induced current is the flow of electric charge that is caused by a changing magnetic field. This change in magnetic field can be caused by a moving magnet, a changing electric current, or a combination of both.

2. How is the direction of induced current determined?

The direction of induced current is determined by Lenz's law, which states that the induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic field that caused it. This is also known as the right-hand rule, where the direction of the induced current is determined by the direction of the changing magnetic field and the direction of the motion of the conductor.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of induced current?

The magnitude of induced current is affected by the strength of the changing magnetic field, the speed of the motion of the conductor, and the angle between the direction of the magnetic field and the motion of the conductor. The greater these factors, the greater the magnitude of induced current.

4. Can the direction of induced current be reversed?

Yes, the direction of induced current can be reversed if the direction of the changing magnetic field or the motion of the conductor is reversed. This will cause the induced current to flow in the opposite direction.

5. How is the concept of induced current used in everyday life?

Induced current is used in many everyday devices such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in technologies like wireless charging and electromagnetic induction stovetops. Additionally, the concept of induced current is important in understanding the principles behind electricity and magnetism.