Limits of Functions with several variables

In summary, the limit of the given function y/(x^2-y) does not exist because when considering different paths of approach, the limit yields different values. This is evident through the use of substitutions and taking limits along the two axes. Therefore, the limit does not exist.
mit_hacker

Homework Statement

(Q) By considering different paths of approach, show that the limit of the following function does not exist:

lim┬((x,y)→(0,0))⁡〖y/(x^2-y)〗

Homework Equations

y=kx^2 substitution.

The Attempt at a Solution

After substituting, the functions becomes k/(1-k^2). thus, when we consider different paths of approach, (i.e.) when k takes different values, the value of the limit will be different and hence, the limit does not exist.

Can someone please tell me if I'm doing it right? Thanks a ton!:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you need so use a substitution? Have you quoted the whole question? If the question is as quoted the solution is trivial and there is no need for any substitution just take limits along the two axes.

Correct. If you make two different substitutions in which the values of x and y still go to 0, and the limit results in two different values, then the limit does not exist.

Thanks a ton!

Thank-you very much! I thought so too but was not sure. Thanks a lot for re-assuring me!

FAQ: Limits of Functions with several variables

1. What are the main factors that determine the limits of functions with several variables?

The main factors that determine the limits of functions with several variables include the behavior of the function near the point of evaluation, the direction in which the independent variables approach the point, and the overall structure of the function. Other factors may also play a role, such as the continuity and differentiability of the function.

2. How do you calculate the limit of a function with several variables?

The limit of a function with several variables can be calculated by evaluating the function at the point of interest and then considering the behavior of the function as the independent variables approach the point. This can be done by taking multiple paths towards the point and observing the resulting values of the function.

3. Can the limit of a function with several variables exist even if the function is not defined at the point of evaluation?

Yes, a limit can exist for a function with several variables even if the function is not defined at the point of evaluation. This is because the limit only considers the behavior of the function as the independent variables approach the point, not the actual value of the function at the point.

4. How do you determine if a limit of a function with several variables exists?

A limit of a function with several variables exists if the value of the function approaches a single value as the independent variables approach the point of evaluation from all directions. This can be determined by evaluating the function at the point and observing its behavior as the independent variables approach the point along different paths.

5. Are there any special cases in which the limit of a function with several variables does not exist?

Yes, there are special cases in which the limit of a function with several variables does not exist. This can occur if the function has a discontinuity or if the behavior of the function near the point of evaluation is chaotic or unpredictable. In these cases, the limit may approach different values depending on the path taken towards the point, or it may not exist at all.

Back