Find the potential using a line integral (Electromagnetism)

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem from Griffith's 3rd edition, which involves finding the potential using a line integral with specific limits. The answer is incorrect when taking the gradient, but can be solved by integrating -Edx and then taking the negative derivative with respect to y. However, there seems to be an error in the final answer and the speaker requests help in finding the mistake.
Vitani1
Homework Statement
Problem 2.20 One of these is an impossible electrostatic field. Which one?
(a) E=k[xyx+2yzy+3xzz];
(b) E = k[y2 x + (2xy + z2) y + 2yz z].
Here k is a constant with the appropriate units. For the possible one, find the potential, using the origin as your reference point. Check your answer by computing V V.
[Hint: You must select a specific path to integrate along. It doesn't matter what path
you choose, since the answer is path-independent, but you simply cannot integrate
unless you have a definite path in mind.]
Relevant Equations
V = -integral (E \cdot dl)
Del cross E = 0
Sorry - I wish I had some way of writing equations in this forum so the "relevant equations" section is easier to read. The answer to the first part is (a) so the rest follows from using the electric field given in B. If anyone is interested this question comes from Griffith's 3rd edition, problem 2.20...

Anway, I can do this problem fine. If you do the line integral but make it indefinite you get something which when taking the negative gradient will correctly give you back the electric field. However when making it definite the answer is not the same when taking the gradient.
For my homework in specific we are to do the following:
When finding the potential, use a line integral, with the path being the straight line from the origin to an arbitray point in space, (x0, y0, z0).

What I did:

I integrated -Edx for the x-component and got V(x,y,z) = -k(y^2)x_0+G(y,z). I then took the negative derivative with respect to y to solve for G as a function of some C(z) to get V(x,y,z) = -k(x(y_0)^2+z^2(y_0))+k(x_0)(y_0)^2 + C(z) for a final answer of V(x,y,z) = -k(x(y_0)^2+z^2(y_0))+k(x_0)(y_0)^2 - k y^2x_0 + ky_0z_0^2-kyz_0^2. This was using the limits given in the problem which were to be from 0 to some x0,y0,and z0 respectively. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vitani1 said:
Sorry - I wish I had some way of writing equations in this forum so the "relevant equations" section is easier to read.
See the "LaTeX Guide" link below the Edit/Reply window, or click INFO, Help at the top of the page. :smile:

1599174317998.png

Likes Vitani1

1. How is the potential calculated using a line integral in electromagnetism?

The potential is calculated by integrating the electric field along a path or line in space. The formula for finding the potential is V = -∫E⋅dl, where V is the potential, E is the electric field, and dl is the infinitesimal displacement along the path.

2. What is the significance of finding the potential using a line integral?

The potential helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with charges in space. It also allows us to calculate the work done by the electric field on a charge as it moves along a path.

3. Can the potential be negative or positive?

Yes, the potential can be either negative or positive depending on the direction of the electric field and the direction of the path along which the line integral is being calculated. A negative potential indicates that work is being done on the charge by the electric field, while a positive potential means that work is being done by the charge on the electric field.

4. How does the potential relate to the electric field?

The potential is related to the electric field by the gradient operator, ∇. This means that the electric field is the negative gradient of the potential, or E = -∇V. This relationship allows us to calculate the electric field at any point in space if we know the potential at that point.

5. Can the potential be calculated for any type of charge distribution?

Yes, the potential can be calculated for any type of charge distribution, as long as the electric field can be determined at each point along the path of integration. This includes point charges, line charges, and surface charges.