Inhomogeneous diff EQ, undetermined coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the solution to the equation y" + 3y' = 72sin(3t) + 36cos(3t) with initial conditions y(0) = 6 and y'(0) = 9. The individual first finds the solution to the homogeneous equation and then uses the initial conditions to find the constants. They then attempt to solve the inhomogeneous equation, but realize they should have waited until the end to apply the initial conditions.
offbeatjumi
Find the solution of:

y" + 3y' = 72sin(3t) + 36cos(3t)
where y(0) = 6 and y'(0) = 9

I first found the solution to the homogeneous eq:

the roots (R^2 + 3R = 0) are R = 0, -3
which gives the family of solutions:
y = a(1) + be^(-3t)
and y' = -3be^(-3t)

using the initial conditions (maybe I am not supposed to use them here?)
I find a = 9, b = -3

For the inhomogeneous eq:

I try (guess)
y = Asin(3t) + Bsin(3t)
y' = 3Acos(3t) - 3Bsin(3t)
y" = -9Asin(3t) - 9Bcos(3t)

substitute those values into the original equation (left hand side) I find

sin3t(-9A-9B) + cos3t(-9B-9A) = 72sin3t + 36cos3t

therefore
-9A - 9B = 72
-9B - 9A = 36
giving B = -6, A = -2

Therefore I get the solution:

y = 9 - 3e^(-3t) - 2sin3t - 6cos3t

What did I do wrong (this answer is incorrect)
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi offbeatjumi! :smile:
offbeatjumi said:
… where y(0) = 6 and y'(0) = 9

using the initial conditions (maybe I am not supposed to use them here?)
I find a = 9, b = -3

Therefore I get the solution:

y = 9 - 3e^(-3t) - 2sin3t - 6cos3t

But y(0) ≠ 6, is it?

So you did need to wait until the end before finding the constants. :wink:

thank you! i wasn't sure about where to apply initial conditions

1. What is an inhomogeneous differential equation?

An inhomogeneous differential equation is a type of differential equation where the right-hand side of the equation is not equal to zero. This means that there is a non-zero forcing term in the equation, which can be a function of one or more variables.

2. What are undetermined coefficients in the context of differential equations?

Undetermined coefficients refer to a method for solving inhomogeneous differential equations. This method involves finding a particular solution by assuming a form for the solution and then solving for the coefficients in that form. These coefficients are considered "undetermined" because they are not yet known and must be determined through the solving process.

3. How do you solve an inhomogeneous differential equation using undetermined coefficients?

The steps for solving an inhomogeneous differential equation using undetermined coefficients are as follows:
1. Find the general solution to the corresponding homogeneous equation.
2. Assume a form for the particular solution based on the forcing term.
3. Substitute the particular solution into the original equation and solve for the undetermined coefficients.
4. Add the particular solution to the general solution to get the complete solution to the inhomogeneous equation.

4. What are some common forms used for particular solutions in the method of undetermined coefficients?

The most common forms used for particular solutions are polynomials (constant, linear, quadratic, etc.), exponential functions, sine and cosine functions, and combinations of these. The form chosen depends on the form of the forcing term in the original differential equation.

5. How do you determine which form to use for the particular solution in an inhomogeneous differential equation?

The form of the particular solution depends on the form of the forcing term in the original equation. For example, if the forcing term is a constant, a constant particular solution would be appropriate. If the forcing term is a sine function, a sine particular solution would be used. If the forcing term is a polynomial, the particular solution would be a polynomial of the same degree. If the forcing term is a combination of these, a combination of the corresponding particular solutions would be used.