What is the best Quantum Field Theory book for self-study?

In summary, The person is seeking recommendations for a Quantum Field Theory book and mentions their background in Quantum Mechanics, General Relativity, and some mathematical concepts. They are currently using Zee, Peskin, and Srednicki, but are debating which one to use as their main text for self-study. They mention liking the problems in Peskin but not the presentation, and vice versa for Srednicki. They also mention struggling with Zee's handwaving approach. Another person agrees that Srednicki is the best book at the graduate level, but acknowledges it is not an easy book. They also mention the helpfulness of Srednicki's problem set and solutions manual.
6eecs
Hi, I'd like to ask recommendation for a QFT book. I have seen several other recommendations on this forum, but hopefully I'll provide enough info
so you guys can have more specific advice.

Background: QM (Griffiths, some parts of Sakurai), GR (Carroll), some residue calculus/lorentz-poincare group.

I am currently using Zee/Peskin/Srednicki, but I am debating to which one to use as a main text (which I read very carefully) because I am moving very slowly if I read all of them well.
This is for self-study. I like the problems in Peskin, but I don't like his presentation at all.
On the other hand, I don't like the problems in srednicki, especially his notation, but his derivations are more elegant and compact and detailed.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the same background as you more or less and I started with Zee (still working through it) mainly because the jump to Srednicki would have been too steep. I asked the same question you did a while back so you may or may not find this useful: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=499149

Actually, I find Zee hard because he handwaves his way through, which makes some stuff difficult to follow. Srednicki to some extent has been easier on me b/c he actually explicitly computes stuff out.

6eecs said:
Actually, I find Zee hard because he handwaves his way through, which makes some stuff difficult to follow. Srednicki to some extent has been easier on me b/c he actually explicitly computes stuff out.

I agree about Zee. At the graduate level, I think Srednicki is the best single book out there right now, but it is in no way an easy book.

Yeah I can see what you mean. I must admit the problems in Srednicki's text have been a lot more helpful not to mention there is a full solutions manual for it online which makes it that much more suited for self - study. I guess I just like the tone that Zee writes with.

1. What is Quantum Field Theory (QFT)?

Quantum Field Theory is a theoretical framework that combines elements of quantum mechanics and special relativity to describe the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions.

2. Why is a Quantum Field Theory book useful for scientists?

A Quantum Field Theory book provides a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and mathematical formalism used to study subatomic particles and their interactions. It is an essential reference for researchers in the field of theoretical physics and has practical applications in various areas such as particle physics, cosmology, and condensed matter physics.

3. Is Quantum Field Theory difficult to understand?

Quantum Field Theory is a complex and abstract subject, and it can be challenging to understand at first. However, with dedication and a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, it is possible to grasp the concepts and principles of QFT.

4. What are the key concepts in Quantum Field Theory?

Some of the key concepts in Quantum Field Theory include quantization, symmetries, Feynman diagrams, and renormalization. These concepts are used to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions in terms of fields.

5. Are there any practical applications of Quantum Field Theory?

Yes, there are several practical applications of Quantum Field Theory, including the development of new technologies such as superconductors and quantum computers. It also helps in understanding the behavior of matter at a fundamental level, which has implications for various fields such as astrophysics and materials science.