Anyone tried "Problem Book in Quantum Field Theory" by Radovanovic?

In summary, this book is a good resource for learning QFT, but it can be difficult to understand the solutions on your own. The author suggests practicing the solutions and breaking them down into small steps.
Haorong Wu
It is a wonderful book for learning QFT. Interesting problems with detailed solutions. I have tried the problems from chapter 1 to chapter 7. In most chapters, I could at least solve some part of the problems. But I got stuck in chapter 4, the Dirac equation. I could not solve any of the problems independently except the first one. I even can not understand some solutions for them.

Therefore, I would like to ask anyone who has tried this book that should I just skip this chapter or try harder, given the conditions that QFT is not in my graduate courses, and I am learning GR in the same time, and I am interested in combining QFT, and GR with optics, QC, and QI.

Physics news on Phys.org
Haorong Wu said:
It is a wonderful book for learning QFT. Interesting problems with detailed solutions. I have tried the problems from chapter 1 to chapter 7. In most chapters, I could at least solve some part of the problems. But I got stuck in chapter 4, the Dirac equation. I could not solve any of the problems independently except the first one. I even can not understand some solutions for them.

Therefore, I would like to ask anyone who has tried this book that should I just skip this chapter or try harder, given the conditions that QFT is not in my graduate courses, and I am learning GR in the same time, and I am interested in combining QFT, and GR with optics, QC, and QI.

I've found that when I practice the solutions that are given, everyday, even if I do not understand them, that I understand them after I have them memorized and still practice them. I think it is because the connections that form the memory of the solution, also form a way for the brain to comprehend the information. Try that if you really want to learn it.

Likes AndreasC and PhDeezNutz
I have passed pretty much that whole problem book, and it's pretty decent, I must say. The Dirac equation chapter pretty much starts with deriving the basic theoretical results that you can find in any QFT book(like solving the Dirac equation, for example), and then proceeds with additional exercises assuming you know the theory. So it's reasonable if you couldn't solve them instantenously, it depends how well you know the derivations from your QFT book(I used Mandl & Shaw, and Peskin & Schroeder mainly, when I was doing that course).

Reading the solutions for those problems and trying to derive those solutions while reading them, will be useful for you, though. Then you can try again to see if you understood it correctly.

Likes vanhees71 and Haorong Wu
DartomicTech said:
I've found that when I practice the solutions that are given, everyday, even if I do not understand them, that I understand them after I have them memorized and still practice them. I think it is because the connections that form the memory of the solution, also form a way for the brain to comprehend the information. Try that if you really want to learn it.
One thing that has worked for me: I basically copy the proof translating it into my native language, though I guess writing it in your own words also helps. I try to write it in words and sentence structures I find simpler. Then the next day I re-read it from my notes. Then I try to write it out, step by step, by memory, or at least write what the steps are. I try breaking it down to small simple steps. Eventually it clicks and I feel stupid for not figuring it out earlier.

Likes vanhees71
Sounds like a good book. I will have to check it out

1. What is the difficulty level of "Problem Book in Quantum Field Theory" by Radovanovic?

The difficulty level of this book is generally considered to be advanced, as it assumes a strong foundation in quantum field theory and mathematical methods.

2. Is this book suitable for self-study or is it better for use in a classroom setting?

This book can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. However, it is recommended to have a good understanding of the basics of quantum field theory before attempting to use this book for self-study.

3. How does "Problem Book in Quantum Field Theory" by Radovanovic compare to other textbooks on the subject?

This book is known for its extensive collection of challenging problems, making it a useful supplement to other textbooks on quantum field theory. It also includes detailed solutions to all the problems, which is not always the case with other textbooks.

4. Are there any prerequisites for using this book?

As mentioned earlier, a strong foundation in quantum field theory and mathematical methods is necessary to fully understand and benefit from this book. It is also recommended to have some background in classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and special relativity.

5. What can I expect to gain from using "Problem Book in Quantum Field Theory" by Radovanovic?

Using this book can help improve your problem-solving skills and deepen your understanding of quantum field theory. It also includes a variety of advanced topics and applications, making it a valuable resource for researchers and graduate students in the field.